Chicken, screaming, shaking his head and walking backwards

amyc8001

Hatching
Jan 25, 2024
I have a four month old hen silkie that was a surprise, baby, and due to health reasons of my own I was not able to take her out and acclimate her with the other chickens and the weather. Been colder here than usual about two months ago she started screaming, shaking her head and walking/falling backwards at the same time. And she will just shake her head. I’ve tried corrid I’ve tried adding vitamins to her water but I don’t know what else to do. She’s very friendly my grandmother sits and hold her and loves on her a lot. Can anybody help?

Check for mites, you might have to look very closely and watch for movement, but that is one of the things that can cause this behavior. Especially check her ear feathers.

She might also have a feather irritating her that she can't get to. You can totally pick out loose feathers when you're looking her over and see if that calms her down. Does she scratch her head a lot?

I have a four month old hen silkie that was a surprise, baby, and due to health reasons of my own I was not able to take her out and acclimate her with the other chickens and the weather. Been colder here than usual about two months ago she started screaming, shaking her head and walking/falling backwards at the same time. And she will just shake her head. I’ve tried corrid I’ve tried adding vitamins to her water but I don’t know what else to do. She’s very friendly my grandmother sits and hold her and loves on her a lot. Can anybody help?
Welcome To BYC
Do you have photos of her and her poop?

What are you feeding?

Silkies can be prone to having some neurological issues. I'd start her on Vitamin Therapy.

Give her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a small treat of egg or tuna to help with the uptake of E.

While it's fine to sometimes put vitamins in the water, usually they are too dilute to be very effective. Give her the vitamins orally. Just pop the Vitamin E gel cap into her beak and let her swallow. Then pop in the piece of B-Complex.

See that she's eating a nutritionally balanced chick starter or all flock feed that is 18-20% Protein.

1706500866743.jpeg
1706500907976.png

Back
Top Bottom