Chicken shaking head and popping noise.

Puranin

Chirping
Dec 8, 2016
Tennessee
No idea if a chicken can get a sinus infection. She has been acting fine eating and drinking. I have noticed she has stayed closer to the coop than the others but its been bad wet and cold for 3 weeks now. Everything is saturated and it shows no signs of drying up soon. Today I noticed a faint pop when she would breath and a few sneezes and then she shook her head and adjusted her crop and was fine. She did it again about 10 min later. Is it possible that its just the weather causing it or should I try antibiotics everyone else is fine.

Yes chickens can get respiratory infections that may cause sinus infection, and infection throughout the airway, and air sacs. Mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and the more common infectious bronchitis are the most common diseases seen in chickens. Wet or moldy conditions can cause aspergillosis, another infection that can be made worse by one of the above infections. Sneezing, rattly breathing, wheezing, gasping, head shaking, foamy eyes, and nasal drainage are some of the symptoms. If you Google common diseases in poultry, look for the University of Florida link to read about the signs. With the signs you are seeing, it may be infectious bronchitis or mild MG. Antibiotics are usually frowned upon in chickens, unless there is foamy or gunky eyes, but some use Tylan 50 injectable given orally 0.2 ml per pound twice a day for up to 5 days. Make sure that there is dry conditions in the coop with good overhead air circulation.

She doesn't have any kind of discharge and the coop is kept warm and dry. There is a heat lamp in part of it if they ever get chilled. There are also several vent around roof peak for air flow. She is the only one out of five with any symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom