chicken sounds like she's wheezing

I know, right!! It worked for me too..I have had to learn more than I ever wanted to know about chickens. Treated and cured bumble foot, treated and cured leg mites (Which was worst thing ever because it took a long time). Learned about roosters and broody hens. Much more than I ever wanted to know. Glad the bread and oil worked for you too!

Dawg53, I just tried the bread soaked in olive oil for one of my hens that was wheezing pretty heavily. Totally worked!!! The wheezing is gone! I am very happy, and the hubby is impressed with me over it, too. None (and I mean NONE) of the vets in or near my area treat chickens. Which is weird since I live near many farming areas. So, I'm happy to have at least one tool in my arsenal for hen care. Thank you so much!!!
Can be vegetable oil or just olive oil ?

Yes. any edible oil oil should help. maybe even mineral oil in a pinch (a friend used that once to get a chunk of carrot stuck in my horse's throat to go down) (i know this is much later than you posted, but hopefully it will help someone else along the way!)...
Can it be vegetable oil ?

Dawg 53,
I just found your very helpful suggestion when I looked up, "What does it mean if a chicken is wheezing?" THANK YOU!!! I let my girls out to free range when I got home from work. When they all came out (6 sexlinks) they were happy, excited and running with typical happy noises. After about an hour, I went into the front yard to check on two of the hens that love to dig under a bush. I could hear one of the girls were wheezing bad as they came towards me. I picked her up, and she just seemed to be gasping for air. I watched her for about 30 min. and she still kept struggling/wheezing. I came in and googled the above question and found your suggestion of soaking a piece of bread with olive oil and feeding it to her. It instantly relieved her. She is still a little wheezy, but she is so much better. She even started to drink water!! I will keep an eye on her. I just wanted to thank you for helping me save one of my girls life. With much appreciation, A Chicken Lover In Heber City, UT
I cannot thank you enough! I just tried it for my poor girl and I think it worked!!! I’m praying this is it. Thank you 🙏🏻🙏🏻🐓🐓

Back
Top Bottom