Chicken standing and shaking, what is it?

Crowblossom

In the Brooder
Jan 28, 2023
California
Golden sex link three years old.. i woke up to find her like this:
tail down
laying on the floor randomly
not moving at all
shaking ever so slightly
closing eyes

she can still stand up on her own and doesnt seem to have any physical injuries but she will not move until i force her

what kind of illness is this?
(i have a picture attached but there is nothing to show since she looks fairly normal otherwise.)

Attachments

• B02EF5B4-9D85-41B7-A8BE-46DCC0FB2F7A.jpeg
    B02EF5B4-9D85-41B7-A8BE-46DCC0FB2F7A.jpeg
    553.7 KB · Views: 58
tail down
not moving at all
shaking ever so slightly
closing eyes

she can still stand up on her own and doesnt seem to have any physical injuries but she will not move until i force her

(i have a picture attached but there is nothing to show since she looks fairly normal otherwise.)
I'm not a chicken expert at all but if it is cold there you may want to take in where it is warmer. If she is in cold shock use a blow dryer on low heat and put some towels in the dryer to wrap her in. I used sugar water and syringed it into her. I hope she recovers soon!

I'm not a chicken expert at all but if it is cold there you may want to take in where it is warmer. If she is in cold shock use a blow dryer on low heat and put some towels in the dryer to wrap her in. I used sugar water and syringed it into her. I hope she recovers soon!
I live in a pretty warm/mild so maybe no cold shock, and she doesnt seem to try and warm herself up, but see what happens

Can you separate her to see her poop? That will tell you a lot. Does her beak smell off? Her crop feel full? Is she laying hard shelled eggs?

Do a physical check up.

Run your hand over her entire body.

Then separate her feathers to look at the condition of her skin.

Open her beak to smell her breath.

Check her vent to see there's no leakage.

Look at your yard and determine what plants they been nibbling at, some are poisonous to chickens.

Or if they found something in the dirt they been digging in.

Do a physical check up.

Run your hand over her entire body.

Then separate her feathers to look at the condition of her skin.

Open her beak to smell her breath.

Check her vent to see there's no leakage.

Look at your yard and determine what plants they been nibbling at, some are poisonous to chickens.

Or if they found something in the dirt they been digging in.
She wont eat or drink even if i put it in her face so she hasnt pooped since i discovered her like this, i also tried looking around her coop but there was no abnormal poop around.
her skin seems normal but the base of her tail seem excessively dirty (from not cleaning herself?). i cant smell anything from her breath and no vent leakage.
i looked throughout tbe yard and couldnt find anything that would be poisonous to chickens. if it helps, the other hens havent experienced any of her symptoms.

Edit: Crop is completely empty

Last edited:
Try to make sure she drinking periodically during the day even if you need to assist her. If it's something she ate in the yard you will need to let it pass out of her. If she's not eating tomorrow give her a raw yolk in a small dish. Put it up to her beak to get her to taste it.

I had the same situation with a pullet this year. She ate something that didn't agree with her. So I took her to my spare bedroom and gave her rest and quiet time. The following day I forced her to eat some raw yolk and a little bit of water. This went on for a week. She finally made a recovery and ate on her own. So she went back to the flock.

I do have some poisonous plant on the outer area of my yard and I free range my chickens. This doesn't happen often.

Try to make sure she drinking periodically during the day even if you need to assist her. If it's something she ate in the yard you will need to let it pass out of her. If she's not eating tomorrow give her a raw yolk in a small dish. Put it up to her beak to get her to taste it.

I had the same situation with a pullet this year. She ate something that didn't agree with her. So I took her to my spare bedroom and gave her rest and quiet time. The following day I forced her to eat some raw yolk and a little bit of water. This went on for a week. She finally made a recovery and ate on her own. So she went back to the flock.

I do have some poisonous plant on the outer area of my yard and I free range my chickens. This doesn't happen often.
thanks! luckily she started drinking water but only if i forced her.. i will try the raw yolk tomorrow since it’s dark outside

tail down
not moving at all
shaking ever so slightly
closing eyes

She wont eat or drink even if i put it in her face so she hasnt pooped since i discovered her like this,

I'd feel for an egg to see if she's egg bound if she's not pooping.

Back
Top Bottom