Chicken Stopped Laying Eggs

ChillnChick

Chirping
Jun 21, 2022
I have 4 isa brown chickens that have been so wonderful and easy to care for and watch growing up. They started laying between 3-4 months young (Oct last year) and have hardly taken a day off since with almost all perfect eggs (in my eye). That is until 2-3 weeks ago when one stopped laying out of the blue. All seemed fine and we didn’t worry but after the first week (with one egg laid) we had it narrowed down to two possibilities. We did notice one of our hens did seem a bit off one day not showing much interest in the scratch and mealworms we put down (every) morning - in the warmer afternoon we put out some watermelon and she pecked at that like normal. She has since laid 2 eggs in the box with no shell or membrane...nothing else.
We feed mostly 4 mile feed mixing grain and pellets switching away from from corn and soy several months ago. Their mealworms with the scratch is a mixture of organic and “cheaper” tractor supply and now have some grumblies mixed in as of the last few days. They have free choice of grit and oyster shell always available with plenty of water. They receive vegetables and/or fruit most days of the week. I thought I might be giving too much during our recent heat wave (especially cold cucumber or other melons) but others have told me that this shouldn’t be causing problems.
They are let out of their larger coop/run pretty much every day and into a small grassy area (depending on the weather) and free range our large fenced backyard a couple hours most days. I haven’t noticed a change in poops and all the chickens appear to be acting normal.
The chickens haven’t yet molted this year but it was around this time last year that they blew their feathers leaving the pullet stage. (not certain of the correct terminology but certain you get the point)
Should I be concerned at this point? Other suggestions?

It's normal for them to slow down when there transitioning to molt around the fall season. But the shell less egg is concerning. Keep tabs on how often it occurs. You may need to give her calcium citrate tablets to remedy the situation. Know when to intervene to help her. And report other unusual activities if it occurs.

When they go in full molt they will stop laying and this is the time to switch to a high protein feed.

So, it is definitely natural for hens to take a break from laying. They call it a dormancy period. If they lay all winter it may be in the spring, or as in your case the next fall (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere?). As mine have gotten older, they seem to have longer dormancy periods or more frequent ones. My whiting true blue will lay every day just a couple weeks out of the year, so you will see all kinds of variation. You can expect that with the Isa brown's, too. Their production goes down fast since they are such prolific layers.

If you see more than 2 shell less eggs in a month, start to worry. You can give calcium citrate with D3 for a week or two to help give them a boost. It helps to reset their system if they are having trouble.

Also, as far as diet, I would cut out every food source that isn't layer feed. I would bring the scraps way down. Some would say to cut it out completely, but you can see if that is needed. Basically, the layer feed will have what they need to be healthy, but when we feed scratch and scraps that can dilute the nutrients they need from the feed. This is especially true for Isas and similar breeds that lay almost every day. That takes a lot out of hen to do that, so they need concentrated nutrition. I would play around with it and see what works for them. Feel free to update how it goes from here on in, or if you have any other questions.

I would definitely recommend supplementing that hen with calcium citrate with D3 for a.couple of days, or until she lays a shelled egg. If you don't already have multiple containers of oyster shell out, I would do that, and also scatter some on the ground. If she is a lower level bird,she may be getting blocked from the container by the others. My hens also would take a break for a few days in very hot weather, and she may have done so.but is having a little glitch restarting. Also watch for signs she is starting to moult.

You have the same breed that I have on my lap! Well, it happens to be that when molting chickens put their energy into preparing to grow feathers, they slow down on egg production. So not a big issue. Her needs for calcium will increase, have additional calcium on standby; and usually after a period where they seem to gorge down the protein, while growing feathers, they will next turn to carbohydrates, (as the feather re-grow stage eases off), and will not be so demanding of protein.

(In general, make sure these Isa girls get around 5g of Calcium, 160mg Phosphorus daily, and vit D is around 1800mg per pound of feed--all these figures during egg production. They will need more calcium if double-laying like my Kato girly loves to do on occasion, thus have an additional supply available. In hot weather, additional niacin and Vit C).

Back
Top Bottom