Chicken suddenly will not open eye! Possible injury or illness?

Katieswan

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
HI All,

My almost 3 month old buff orp was out free ranging in the yard with the big hens. There was plenty of space for them to stay away from each other. However, I think that maybe one of my big girls may have pecked the little one in the eye. She was completely fine and an hour later her eye looked like this. It does not seem to have any liquid draining but she will not open it. My guess is it is an injury but I guess could be illness suddenly as well. No other symptoms that are very apparent. It has been just over 48 hours. What do you think? What can I do to help her in either case.

Watch her for any new symptoms, and if the eye remains closed and irritated you can irrigate the eye with saline once,and use Terramycin eye ointment, Vetericyn eye gel, or plain Triple anitibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. Make sure first, that there is not something in the eye that is irritating it. Ammonia odors, a lack of ventilation, or dusty conditions in the coop can cause eye irritation.

Watch her for any new symptoms, and if the eye remains closed and irritated you can irrigate the eye with saline once,and use Terramycin eye ointment, Vetericyn eye gel, or plain Triple anitibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day. Make sure first, that there is not something in the eye that is irritating it. Ammonia odors, a lack of ventilation,  or dusty conditions in the coop can cause eye irritation.

Thanks! Hopefully she's ok. She won't even let me try to open it to see if something's in there. Is any triple antibiotic oaintment ok for eyes?

Back
Top Bottom