CHICKEN SWAPS OF NH SWAP LISTINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't go to the swaps but for those that are interested and need NPIP the grant has been used up.
For now and until the grant is renewed which may not be until July this is what it will require according to Cindy at the Dept of Agri.

"And yes, the 2013 grant ended March 31st. We have applied for the 2014 grant, but it’s hard to say when that will be finalized and approved, may not be until July when the State’s fiscal year starts again. Until then the fee is 25.00 for the first 50 birds, .50/bird over 50, and for 2014 the round-trip mileage is .56/mile from Concord."

Hi all,

Thought I'd post this here, in case anyone can help out!

The Vermont Institute of Natural Science (VINS) is a raptor rehabilitation center in Quechee, VT. They take in hawks, eagles, owls, falcons, etc. that have been injured (usually through interactions with humans, like car accidents or gunshot wounds) and take care of them until they are able to return to the wild. The few that are too badly injured to be released again become permanent residents at VINS. As you can imagine, feeding the raptors can be expensive. VINS relies partly on donations of live animals like chickens and rabbits from community farmers and breeders in order to feed the raptors. I often take my extra roosters to VINS as donations for the raptors. The donated animals die a humane death (they are euthanized in a CO2 chamber - they do NOT get fed to the raptors while still alive) and you get a form that declares the animals a charitable donation, if you would like to deduct it on your taxes.

Well, Sara at VINS emailed me today to ask if I had any chickens available because they are desperately low on food for the raptors right now. I will be taking her whatever extra I have, but I also offered to post here on BYC about their need, in case anyone else would like to help. Personally, I find it very helpful sometimes to be able to take my extra birds to VINS. I know that many of you would never dream of eating your chickens, but I also know many of you are breeders like me, and you probably are all too familiar with having too many extra roosters around, or old hens that should be retired. Yes, I can always process extra roosters myself, and I do when I can. But sometimes it's just easier to take them to VINS, and I know the raptors always need to eat! If you have any extra birds (or rabbits - I know many of you breed rabbits as well!) that you could share with VINS, Sara would love to hear from you right away.

Here are their only requirements:
No sick birds, no internal/external parasites
No medicated birds (including medicated feed like chick starter)

If you can help, or if you have any questions, please email Sara at [email protected] and she can arrange a time for you to drop of donations! Thanks!

THE NEXT SWAP IS THIS SUNDAY MAY 11
thumbsup.gif

This is a proof of our new poster. The correct address is 307 Dover RD.
This year we have added a Farmers Market.
A large version of this sign is roadside at the store and will stay up all season.
The events are 5 hours long.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-Swaps-of-NH/113533082076138

The above is a link to our facebook page. We are currently booking Farmers Market Vendors-Craft Vendors-Animal Vendors.
The store is stuffing bags with our flyers.
Should be a good turnout

Last edited:
Does anyone have any brand new ducklings? I had 1/8 eggs hatch yesterday after their mom was snagged by a fox wednesday and the eggs got cold :( duckling is a Call Duck... looking for just a couple friends ASAP.

Deerfield, NH

Thanks!
-Kim

Does anyone have any brand new ducklings? I had 1/8 eggs hatch yesterday after their mom was snagged by a fox wednesday and the eggs got cold
sad.png
duckling is a Call Duck... looking for just a couple friends ASAP.

Deerfield, NH

Thanks!
-Kim

I have 4 mixed breed ducklings. They are now 10 days old(not sure if that is too old for you). PM if your interested.

Quote: Thanks Chicken Pickin but probably too old if they're standard size duck-mixes... he's just a little peanut and he's got a bit of a "gimpy-foot" my guess is from the egg getting cold just before he hatched...

I think I might settle for baby chicks instead - I don't think he's too picky on who is friends are at his point, he goes wild when he seems me ... and I have Muscovies and Calls so the more i think about it the more difficult it would be to add another breed of duck ... ... :-/

frow.gif
THE FARMERS MARKET / CHICKEN SWAPS
ARE NOW GOING TO BE THE SECOND AND FORTH SUNDAYS
OF THE MONTH

THE EVENT WILL BE MAY 25

SHOULD BE A GREAT TIME
ALL VENDERS MUST PRE REG TO SET UP
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I've got a broody hen who'd like some eggs. I can give her my own, but they'll just be barnyard mixes. If you raise a specific breed (large fowl) and have some extra eggs for hatching, PM me what you have. I'd definitely be interested! I'm in the Concord/Chichester area. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom