Chicken sweater. Yes or no.

There are a lot of good opinions on here about chicken sweaters. I guess it depends on where you live and their living conditions. I've seen some pretty awful living conditions for some who've called their homes outside 5 gallon pails. I have crocheted for farms that sell the eggs to the govt for testing and so far, I've had Zero complaints. Each one of us, have good points about the yams and the nays of the sweaters. Don't let anyone decide for you. I will make you a sweater for free if you order a sweater. I have made extra sweaters for free. The only one who can make your decision is you and no one else.

Everyone has good opinions, like something else we all have. If everyone listened to mr. Negativity, you'll be missing out on life. What you eat mr. Negativity jr don't make me poop either. Let people think for themselves

Everyone has good opinions, like something else we all have. If everyone listened to mr. Negativity, you'll be missing out on life. What you eat mr. Negativity jr don't make me poop either. Let people think for themselves

He wasn't really being negative, just stating his own opinion. Really, I agree with him since chickens probably highly dislike any clothing.

Maybe. I'm crocheting sweaters for an egg production farm here in my state. They have over 200 birds, and love the sweaters. But I guess it just depends on the breed and what zone they live in.

It's not just crocheting either, they have a cotton lining. But each their own. I can't bear to see any animal freeze or suffer from the cold or not based on an opinion. That's cruel. They wear the sweaters at night, take them off during the day. But it depends on the owner the breed and the zone.

Putting a sweater on a chicken takes away the ability of the chicken to regulate it's own body temperature, they cannot raise and lower the feathers depending on whether they want to trap heat next to the body by fluffing the feathers or cool off by lowering them. Chickens are quite cold hardy, they have more trouble with warm weather.

There is a simple experiment to show what material you want to wear in the cold and in elements. One of those learning guides we did back in Boy Scouts before our week of wilderness survival in winter.

Take a garment made of cotton and another made of wool. Shirts work well. Soak both in water, even room temperature. Now put on each shirt and compare. If you've wet cotton in the elements you will freeze to death. The water wicking, insulative air trapping that wool does is much like the other natural material of down and feathers, they work in conjunction for effect. Feathers stop wind and water and down keeps warm like a down jacket.

Funny thing to add on that cotton vs. wool shirt experiment. I lucked out and got the wool shirt. It was cold and uncomfortable. Then we switched. Could barley stand to get the freezing cotton on and quickly removed it. The other kid who'd suffered the cotton first was embracing the wool as it actually was warming him he almost didn't want to take it off! LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom