Chicken that is limping?

GGbear, One of my 3 year old girls started limping suddenly in the spring, and I could not see anything wrong with her foot. I gave her time and it resolved on its own in a couple of weeks. Your girl may have some sort of mechanical injury. Her foot looks ok to me, so it may be up in one of the joints. I think in your shoes, I'd just keep an eye on her and make sure she eats, drinks and roosts ok.

BrokenBaylee, I would keep an eye on your chicken for a few days and see what happens. If he jumped down from somewhere a bit high then it is extremely possible that he has simply sprained his leg.

I had a light sussex do exactly that this summer - she jumped from a worktop onto a concrete floor and landed awkwardly. At first I was terrified that she had done some major damage - she was limping so badly I thought something might be broken - but within a few days I could see she was limping less, and after two weeks she was just about back to normal.

If your chicken doesn't seem to be improving after a few days then you may need to consider other causes, but I would advise you to keep a close eye on him for a few days and see what happens.

Keep us updated on the situation.

This is a picture of what his leg is doing, I looked at the bottom of his feet and it's normal, so I don't think it's bumblefoot. I compared it to the other chickens who were walking just fine, the pallet their main living space is about six inches off the the ground so I think he may of sprained it jumping off of there.

He still gets around just fine, I mean heck he runs to the water and the food just fine, he just hasn't been able to get into their living space so I set him in there with them every night and I've watched and none of the others peck him.

He seems to be doing a little better today, and since he is still eating a drinking I guess I'll see how he progresses every day.

The only other possible thing I could think of is that maybe he slipped a tendon?

Thank you guys for all the advice and input I will keep you guys updated!

Last edited:
thanks everyone think it was just a bang or something as she walking fine Now!!! Mind u she is such a big girl maybe her weight didn't help lol we call her a barrel lol she is 7 months old and totally towers my other 4 who are a year old in height and width and weight

Back
Top Bottom