Chicken Tractor Retractable Wheels

olfart

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 9, 2014
When I decided to build a chicken tractor, the wheels caused me some concern. Placement mainly, but also being able to elevate the rear of the structure enough to clear uneven ground or small obstructions. That set me to thinking about "retractable landing gear".

I made the axle from oil field pipe and the axle housings from the next larger size (slip-in fit). Then I welded 1/2" steel plates to each end of the axle, drilled the plates for the 5/8" steel wheel axles and welded the wheel axles in from the back side. I drilled a 5/8" hole through the main axle and inserted a 5/8" steel rod, which is the "landing gear actuator". When it's time to move the chicken tractor, I grab the actuator and lift it straight up, which rotates the axle 90 degrees and puts the load on the wheels. A lock tab on the rear of the house holds the actuator in the upright position while I move the tractor to the new location.

The other end of the operation is a whole 'nother ballgame. This chicken tractor is so heavy it requires a real tractor to move it, so I had to build a trailer hitch for it.

Here's how the whole thing looks.

Back
Top Bottom