Chicken Tractor Style run

gotta_start_somewhere

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2023
Southern California
Hi Everyone!
I have some ideas for my upcoming chicks new coop, I was wondering if any of you experienced chicken protectors could let me know if my plan is any good.

Out here my main predators are:
Dogs
Coyotes
Bobcats
Cats
Hawks

I plan to put them in with our 1.5 acre chain link fenced in area.
I have daytime guard dogs who keep everything away during the day.

I am looking into going chicken tractor style, I'm loosely following the Chicksaw plan (on YouTube).

Right now I'm puzzling over what to do for the run. Now is not my best time for a big expense. Looking for something that's as cheap as possible, without endangering the flock. My plan was to put up a mobile electric fence around the run and coop. I was thinking that would be enough for the canines, and cats. I will also have a place for them to hide from hawks. I've heard that roosters are really good at warning the hens of hawks and I have a rooster.

I was thinking I might even put the one troublemaker dog in the house and let them free range in the chain link area with the chicken-friendly dogs.

Will that work for now? Is there something else that would be more economical but safe?

I am pretty new to chickens and even newer to building fences or coops.

Thank you in advance for your input!!!

Last edited:
Where are you located? Your climate matters too. You can add your location to your profile, and then it's there and people won't keep asking. Just the state is fine.

Also, how many chickens are you planning to have?

And, :welcome

Really depends on your actual predator load.

I've used poultry netting for my own. It's been disastrous for me. Birds, even 1 wing clipped ones, always seemed to want to check out "the other side". When I purchased, I only remember 3 to 3-1/2' heights. Also had dogs go over the fencing (not ours) & hawks drop down into the enclosed "paddocks". Moving it, for me is/was time consuming and hard. A dreaded chore, not enjoyed at all.

Yet, just a few miles down the road, folks are very happy w/ poultry netting. A lot of homesteader types, here in NC, love it.

If you are using a Chicksaw that will be closed at nite, your chain link w/ guard dogs are probably going to work fine.

You could fence a permanent area & free range from there.

Back
Top Bottom