CHICKEN TRAINING?!?!?!

mhoward92

Songster
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Well i heard of some people that had their chickens so that they would let them out into the run from their coop to romp around. when they wanted to put the chickens back into the coop at night they would just call them or something and the chikens would all come running back into the coop. Does anyone know how to get the chickens to do this?! LOL... when i let mine into the run my coop is attached to the run so when i want to get them back into the coop i have to get into the run and pick each one up and put them back into the run :eek: i already tried putting food in the coop. they all come running inside to get the food but then suddenly they all get the idea of "hey if i go back out into the run before the old man shuts the door i can get away from the other hens to eat my bread" so they have outsmarted me at that aspect of it..... Anyone have any other methods or this? PLEASE POST if you do!!! loading 35 chickens into a coop daily is not fun.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

Scratch can. Put scratch in a coffee can, shake it so they can all hear it, use whatever call you like, such as "Here, chick, chick!" Then open it and scatter scratch. Soon they understand that the sound means goodies. I can shake that can and they come running from all corners of my property anytime. They follow me into the pen and while theyre busy finding the scratch I've scattered, I shut them inside.

Last edited:
You have to wait until dark, when they will go in of their own accord to roost. Herding chickens is impossible!! I wouldn't bother with it or you'll drive yourself nuts.

The feeding and calling them in the evening is just to "remind" them where home is, but is not actually a highly successful way of getting them to 100% go into the coop. It just draws them to the general area, where they will then realize their roost is right there and go sleep on it.

ahh...your smart. im going to try that tomorrow
smile.png

THANKS

This spring, we have been letting our chickens free-range. (due to the fact that there are major renovations taking place on our farm $$$$ ouch!) Honestly, I haven't had a problem. When the sun starts setting, they all meander back to the barn to roost. When I go out to feed the horses, they are all in their self-designated roosting spots waiting for me to tuck them in for the night.

However, I have heard if you get them used to the sound of food rattling in a tin can--they will come running. maybe you could train them to come to that sound, and then give them a bed time snack before you tuck them in.

another thingthat works for me... If i have some treats for them and they are hanging out in the sun, I open the patio door and yell out brak buck buck buck--they all come running--knowing that yummy treats are imminent. food is a big motivator for chickens, IMO

Good luck and hope this helps.

If I have to get my chicks into the pen earlier than usual... say 6pm, not the usual 7pm.... I either have to leave them in there all day or it's a real chore. Sometimes I can get them into the pen with raisins or corn, but typically they don't all go in ... and then I'm out there trying to coerce the last one in... well it's a scene that really entertains my dh.
gig.gif
Best to wait until sundown and they'll go in on their own.

Quote:
*whispers into chickens ear* Go into the coop now(!) or you'll be eaten!!

I could see that maybe working. LOL
roll.png
I threaten to leave stragglers out for Reynard the boogey-fox to get, if they don't hurry up and go to bed. They usually cock their head and look at me as though to see "Liar. You wouldn't dare." but you know what they get their tails in the coop. LOL
wink.png

-Kim

Well from experience I will say that you can train most chickens to come when you call. I have had chickens from when I was about 10 years old to about 5 years ago, which is about 10 years. We curently live in a condo so no chickens right now.
sad.png
But we hope to buy a place with some land soon.
smile.png
When I had chickens, everytime I would take them feed or kitchen scraps I would call "here chick chick chick".... and they would all come running. Anyways hope you get it to work for you.

Back
Top Bottom