Chicken TV--our upcycled armoire coop and run!

Anujin

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
We just finished our coop and moved our 8 week old pullets in! We turned a shady underutilized corner of our yard and an old solid wood armoire into a coop and covered run. We got hinges, hardware and paint from our Habitat for Humanity Re-Store, used some extra plywood from another project and made about 1,000 trips to the hardware store for other odds and ends. The girls love it inside so far, even on a hot Texas summer day.

Here's a view with the doors closed (we have since added a big lock to keep the girls secure at night). The roof is a plywood base with metal roofing, with an overhang to prevent any rain seepage into the coop. The lower doors are a storage compartment for food/etc. The upper doors close and lock at night time.

Inside the upper doors is a screened in "window" of hardware cloth and a sliding door to access the nest boxes. The ladies have a roost at the front of the armoire, and another one towards the back wall. There is a trap door in the floor that can be opened and shut by a cord and pulley that runs to the exterior of the front of the armoire. A ladder in the trap door leads down to a covered run area.

The white wall across the back of the photo is the back siding for a larger attached run--yet to be completed. The run will also be covered by a roof and will have hardware cloth screens on the wall panels, and a people size door.

We set up a lounge area nearby so we can sit and watch chicken TV in the mornings; our pup Petunia finds it highly entertaining.

Here's a side view.

We kept the original footprint of the armoire in tact, but extended the floor and sides to the back fence (about 8 feet in total length). The finished coop is about 4 ft wide, 8 ft long and 9 ft tal (to the highest point of the roof line). It has plenty of ventilation on all sides and is super sturdy. A door in the siding lifts up and clips to a loop for cleaning. When it is closed it attaches to a lock.

The part underneath the coop is fully encased in hardware cloth and can serve as a run if we're out of town for the weekend. Two doors in the center of the "downstairs" open and can be attached to the outer frame with a hook and eye for greater access/cleaning and/or for when we finish the larger attached run.

I don't know that we saved any money by repurposing the armoire, but it sure looks pretty!

Man, that is just too cool.
thumbsup.gif

I love seeing re-purposed coops! Yours turned out amazing!! We took my sons old twin size bed and framed it out into a coop for ours, like you I'm not sure that we saved a ton of money by re-purposing but I like the looks of it! We also made at least three trips to our Re-Store Humanity, and I lost count of how many trips to the hardware store, lol.

Thanks y'all! It was a fun project that took about three times as long as we anticipated it would. Luckily my husband is a math teacher and carpenter so he was able to wing it and bring to life a less-than-precise sketch I made of what I wanted.

@just13nat --I'd love to see pictures of your repurposed bed frame coop! That sounds awesome!

Any tips on how to get 8 week old pullets to learn how to use a ladder? We've been "helping" them up and down each morning/night and I'd love to get them doing it on their own.

Thanks y'all! It was a fun project that took about three times as long as we anticipated it would. Luckily my husband is a math teacher and carpenter so he was able to wing it and bring to life a less-than-precise sketch I made of what I wanted.

@just13nat
--I'd love to see pictures of your repurposed bed frame coop! That sounds awesome!

Any tips on how to get 8 week old pullets to learn how to use a ladder? We've been "helping" them up and down each morning/night and I'd love to get them doing it on their own.

You can see it in the background here, halfway painted, lol. We got everything else done, but just can't seem to finish the painting. It's just too hot here now!

You can see the headboard of bed here, we bought a cabinet face for $5 from Re-Store Humanity to attach and make "windows."

Back
Top Bottom