Chicken Vampire

backyardbirds

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 22, 2013
Dallas, Texas
Samantha is one year old, she is either a Cochin or a Brahma and was previously a docile featherbrained bird. She has started being broody and worst of all she actually pecks at our legs and then drinks the blood. I have added all sorts of extras to the food in case it is a vitamin deficiency but really believe it is is behavioral. Does anyone have any retraining tips to stop her from doing this before I have to cull her? My other two girls are very sweet. She is second in the pecking order.

Broody birds are aggressive so I would just stay away from them unless it pertains to their direct care. This is how they protect their nest. All chickens eat blood, it is a vital source of nutrients and the reason you separate injured ones from the flock. Try putting her and her nest into an isolated area where the other chickens have no access (like her own pen or inside). By doing this it reduces her stress and thus the pecking of you. Also, cover any wounds she gave you before going near her as it is her nature to peck at red. Everything we train them to peck is red from water nipples to chick feeders.

Back
Top Bottom