Chicken vent/tail/feathers

quacksandclucks

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2016
Kentucky
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2011.JPG
A few of my hens have been losing feathers. I've checked for mites/lice and haven't noticed anything like that but I don't really have a trained eye for spotting them. Anyway, my RIR hen was in the nesting box this morning and I noticed her feathers. I do have a rooster, and he has a few "favorite" ladies that seem to lose the most feathers. Is this okay or should I be worried?? She is acting normal.

Ouch. Well, you are fortunate that the skin is not broken. Good job catching that. Judging by the area that is bald, I'm going to guess that the rooster pulled them out "treading" them. It's funny that the tail feathers are missing, but all signs point to over-mating. I would separate the roo if I were you.
If you don't have an extra pen, you might let him out of the run in the morning, leaving the hens in. In the evening, he should be more than ready to come home, so you can just open the gate and let him back in. Of course, he will need another feed and water bowl. This might help until the Fall molt. :)
How many hens do you have? It might help to... get more chickens!:wee

Ouch. Well, you are fortunate that the skin is not broken. Good job catching that. Judging by the area that is bald, I'm going to guess that the rooster pulled them out "treading" them. It's funny that the tail feathers are missing, but all signs point to over-mating. I would separate the roo if I were you.
If you don't have an extra pen, you might let him out of the run in the morning, leaving the hens in. In the evening, he should be more than ready to come home, so you can just open the gate and let him back in. Of course, he will need another feed and water bowl. This might help until the Fall molt. :)
How many hens do you have? It might help to... get more chickens!:wee
I'm sure my DH will love to hear I need more hens!! lol I only have 13 hens. He especially loves the RIR and one black australope and one of my buffs as well. They are his ladies! As far as the vent/tail area, does it appear swollen or normal? I can't tell if it's just the rump end of the chicken and the pointy part looks swollen since it normally holds feathers there or if it really is just swollen. Sorry, that doesn't really make sense. No correct terminology here lol

It's
I'm sure my DH will love to hear I need more hens!! lol I only have 13 hens. He especially loves the RIR and one black australope and one of my buffs as well. They are his ladies! As far as the vent/tail area, does it appear swollen or normal? I can't tell if it's just the rump end of the chicken and the pointy part looks swollen since it normally holds feathers there or if it really is just swollen. Sorry, that doesn't really make sense. No correct terminology here lol
It's a little red, but not swollen. There's actually a breed of featherless chicken. You can google them and compare the skin to your hen's bald spots. Kind of comical, too.

Back
Top Bottom