Chicken voice

i love my chick

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2016
I have a hen that is 14 months old. No prior issues. She started having a croup like voice today. Eating fine. No eye or mouth discharge. Drinking water. What should I do?
What should I look for? Thank you for your help.

Keep an eye on her. How is the coop ventilation? Dust or excessive heat, moisture or mold can affect the breathing or increase chances of a respiratory issue. Sneezing and snicking can be a little like croup sounds. Sneezing may be common with infectious bronchitis. Hoarseness is common in aspergillosis an infection from mold.

Thank you so much for your reply.
I clean the house regularly but yesterday I opened all doors. scrubbed it to high heavens. The chicken is better this morning so I will keep watching.

Dust is a big problem in my coop--an old barn with a dirt floor. I need to do a big cleaning in spring. But it does have good air circulation at least. Here is a good list of common poultry diseases with symptoms and treatment recommendations.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
The most common respiratory diseases to note are infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, ILT, and the fungal disease from mold that is very common--aspergillosis>

Back
Top Bottom