Chicken Weak/Can’t Stand

charitydevivo

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
My chicken has been hiding and barely picking at her food for a couple of days but she was still laying and roosting up until today. Her comb is still red, her crop is empty, she’s breathing fine, the rest of my flock is perfectly normal. She can’t stand, she’s extremely weak, she is very skinny. No mites, bumble foot, no worms in droppings. She will drink still. I have no clue what is wrong with her or how to help her and no avian vets around me. What could this be???

Attachments

• 72C34937-F9FC-46BE-8709-1901A323B89D.jpeg
    72C34937-F9FC-46BE-8709-1901A323B89D.jpeg
    486.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 58EF3370-B32F-410A-B73A-4BF12FA7D193.jpeg
    58EF3370-B32F-410A-B73A-4BF12FA7D193.jpeg
    665.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 99694120-E728-4EAB-B067-81394FB02E77.jpeg
    99694120-E728-4EAB-B067-81394FB02E77.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 3
How old is she? Have you seen any soft or broken eggs? What do her poops look like? Pictures help. Check her lower belly between her legs for any enlargement or water belly. Can you check for an egg by inserting a clean finger into her vent about 2 inches? Will she eat some scrambled egg, chicken feed mixed with a lot of water, and drink for you?

How old is she? Have you seen any soft or broken eggs? What do her poops look like? Pictures help. Check her lower belly between her legs for any enlargement or water belly. Can you check for an egg by inserting a clean finger into her vent about 2 inches? Will she eat some scrambled egg, chicken feed mixed with a lot of water, and drink for you?
She has had diarrhea today. Her eggs have all been fine. Normal shape, shell, and color. She’s 10 months old. I haven’t tried scrambled egg yet.

I would try to get some sugar water or electrolytes into first. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? It can be difficult to figure out what is wrong sometimes.

I would try to get some sugar water or electrolytes into first. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? It can be difficult to figure out what is wrong sometimes.
Ok I gave her a soak in some warm water and gave her water with some electrolytes. I’ve separated her from the rest. She’s inside the house for tonight. No new birds and no one else in the flock is sick! She always been so skittish but she let me pick her up so I know she feels bad. 😢 I wish I knew exactly how to help her…

Soaking can be dangerous when they are weak or have something unknown going on, and it can sometimes push them over the edge. I would caution against soaking. It may be comforting to a strong one, but some birds have died. I would try to get ber drinking some fluids in the morning, and when she is hydrated, offer some scrambled egg and mushy wet chicken feed. Has she lost weight when you pick her up, and does she have any swelling of her lower belly under her vent and legs?

Soaking can be dangerous when they are weak or have something unknown going on, and it can sometimes push them over the edge. I would caution against soaking. It may be comforting to a strong one, but some birds have died. I would try to get ber drinking some fluids in the morning, and when she is hydrated, offer some scrambled egg and mushy wet chicken feed. Has she lost weight when you pick her up, and does she have any swelling of her lower belly under her vent and legs?
No swelling. She has lost weight. She’s trying to stand this morning but keeps falling forward. Still weak.

Do you think that the other chickens might have kept her from getting enough to eat or drink? It can be hard to figure out what is wrong with a young chicken who is weak and suddenly not being able to stand. An injury, cancer, organ failure, or even something like Mareks could be a problem.

I would offer some mushy feed varieties at least twice a day. Add water to everything to get fluids into her. I had a hen who lost her balance for about 5 weeks, and then recovered. She only lived because I fed her twice a day. Human B complex 1/2 tablet daily added to her food may help with her legs and her appetite.,

Back
Top Bottom