Chicken wheezing and sneezing but otherwise fine

qwigoqwaga

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 2, 2015
One of our chickens has been sneezing for a while now it seems and a couple weeks ago I noticed she was wheezing when she breathes; it’s sounds raspy like when you have a chest cold. I took a video today and she sounds worse than usual:

However, she's otherwise acting totally normal, she's not lethargic, and she's continuing to lay an egg almost every day. Everything I read about respiratory illnesses indicates that they come with other symptoms like drippy eyes/nose, lethargy, or decreased egg production.

What could this be and what should we do about it?

My guess is she ate a plant that might have been a little toxic or mold exposure.

If you can give her some strawberry yogurt it will help coat her throat.

My fluff butt chocolate Orphington is also doing the same thing! She goes into these cute chicken sneezing fits (you can hear her sneezing across the yard and it’s adorable) but today I heard her wheezing a little while breathing. I was wondering if she had something blocking her nasal passage?
She is doing great otherwise! Running around, eating, laying, all the normal chicken things.
Wondering if the yogurt helped your chickie out? What other helpful things to help out my poor girl!

One of our chickens has been sneezing for a while now it seems and a couple weeks ago I noticed she was wheezing when she breathes; it’s sounds raspy like when you have a chest cold. I took a video today and she sounds worse than usual:

However, she's otherwise acting totally normal, she's not lethargic, and she's continuing to lay an egg almost every day. Everything I read about respiratory illnesses indicates that they come with other symptoms like drippy eyes/nose, lethargy, or decreased egg production.

What could this be and what should we do about it?
Did you ever figure this out? I have a chicken doing the same, but is fine otherwise. She is definitely wheezing but eyes and nose are clear, she’s active and eating. The others have no symptoms at all.

Did you ever figure this out? I have a chicken doing the same, but is fine otherwise. She is definitely wheezing but eyes and nose are clear, she’s active and eating. The others have no symptoms at all.
Most likely it's environmental; pollen, mold spores, dust from dust bathing, feed dust, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, improper ventilation in coop, pesticide use etc...
Most of these issues can be corrected or eliminated.

Most likely it's environmental; pollen, mold spores, dust from dust bathing, feed dust, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, improper ventilation in coop, pesticide use etc...
Most of these issues can be corrected or eliminated.

I clean every day but I do have sand in the run and coop and when I had plastic up for winter there was a lot of dust build up. So when she started the sneezing I opened it up and hosed everything down to really clean it. Maybe I’ll switch the coop from sand to something less dusty. But it’s so easy to clean I thought that was better 🤦🏼‍♀️

I clean every day but I do have sand in the run and coop and when I had plastic up for winter there was a lot of dust build up. So when she started the sneezing I opened it up and hosed everything down to really clean it. Maybe I’ll switch the coop from sand to something less dusty. But it’s so easy to clean I thought that was better 🤦🏼‍♀️
I use sand in all my pens, coops and most of the nest boxes. I've never had a problem with it. It's possible that your sand might be more "fine" than the sand I use though.

Back
Top Bottom