Cockerel wheezing for a few weeks

Genesis Farms

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2023
About two and a half weeks ago I noticed one of our gold deathlayer cockerels wheezing while breathing. He seemed fine otherwise so I cleaned their coop extra well to get rid of any accumulated dust. Figured it must have been either because of that or perhaps a case of stridor. We gave him a couple days to see if it would clear up but he was still doing it inconsistently. We gave him a little bread soaked in olive oil which seemed to have little to no effect.

He stayed in the coop with the flock as it seems that no one else has had any similar symptoms. Last week we noticed he had a sneezing fit and we decided then to isolate him in a dryer, cooler area. We’ve been keeping a close eye on him for any other signs of illness but he’s still acting completely normal except for the wheezing. We don’t think it’s gapeworm, but we also can’t find anything about a respiratory illness that isn’t contagious and only consists of wheezing and occasional sneezing.

Here’s a video of Piper wheezing in different ways. It is inconsistent — sometimes it’s really loud and sometimes it’s very soft. Or he won’t be wheezing at all for a while! It’s been very confusing and we’re not sure what steps to take going forward. We have Baytril on the way (rural area mail takes forever!) and plan on treating him with that for a few days to see if it helps. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

Piper wheezing

His ears look clean (I didn’t know that was a thing I could check, so thank you for that!), and his poop is normal.
What has the weather been like where you are?

I also didn't know it was a thing until someone mentioned it to me! Now anytime someone has a sick chicken and they can't find the source of the issue, I tell them to check the ears and they almost always find their chicken has an ear infection!

What has the weather been like where you are?

I also didn't know it was a thing until someone mentioned it to me! Now anytime someone has a sick chicken and they can't find the source of the issue, I tell them to check the ears and they almost always find their chicken has an ear infection!
It’s been very humid, temps fluctuating between 80s - high 90s the past few weeks. With a couple random short storms thrown in. So, unpredictable. :lol:

Love how knowledge spreads like that!

He's such a pretty guy!
I used to have an Easter Egger rooster who would make noises like that, no where near as often as yours does it though. I never knew why he did it, and he acted completely normal, so I didn't think it was of concern.

Could you check his mouth and make sure it's clear and doesn't have any lesions and such?

Hmmm, I wonder if it could be weather related? Let me tag a few other who might know.
@The Chick Addict
@The birb king
@Ilovemychicks08
@Blue Raptor
@Tookie
About two and a half weeks ago I noticed one of our gold deathlayer cockerels wheezing while breathing. He seemed fine otherwise so I cleaned their coop extra well to get rid of any accumulated dust. Figured it must have been either because of that or perhaps a case of stridor. We gave him a couple days to see if it would clear up but he was still doing it inconsistently. We gave him a little bread soaked in olive oil which seemed to have little to no effect.

He stayed in the coop with the flock as it seems that no one else has had any similar symptoms. Last week we noticed he had a sneezing fit and we decided then to isolate him in a dryer, cooler area. We’ve been keeping a close eye on him for any other signs of illness but he’s still acting completely normal except for the wheezing. We don’t think it’s gapeworm, but we also can’t find anything about a respiratory illness that isn’t contagious and only consists of wheezing and occasional sneezing.

Here’s a video of Piper wheezing in different ways. It is inconsistent — sometimes it’s really loud and sometimes it’s very soft. Or he won’t be wheezing at all for a while! It’s been very confusing and we’re not sure what steps to take going forward. We have Baytril on the way (rural area mail takes forever!) and plan on treating him with that for a few days to see if it helps. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated!

Piper wheezing
I’m not an expert, but I’ll take a guess.

It could be a breathing problem, he could possibly have water or something else in his lungs.
He could possibly have something stuck in his throat, but that doesn’t seem right.. he’d be gasping for breath in that case.
I’d try looking down his throat as already suggested.

Back
Top Bottom