Chicken with an injured eye

polishmom1744

Chirping
5 Years
May 10, 2014
Cowan, Tn
I purchased a Rooster and Hens at a local auction last week. Someone tore the wire cage they were in to steal my eggs and left the wire down and he poked his eye. I put him on a broad spectrum antibiotic and have been flushing it BID (2x daily) with a medicated wash. It has been 5 days. The eyeball is still intact and he opens the eye but still very inflamed and yellow spot in the middle of red angry tissue. What else can I do???

Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) wouldnt be used for this type of injury. Here's what sulmet is used for in chickens:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/sulmet-drinking-water-solution-12-5.html
Consider using baytril or amoxicillin. I also recommended terramycin eye ointment or neosporin ointment if you cant find the terramycin eye ointment, a 1/4 inch strip of ointment in the eye twice a day until healed should work in conjunction with one of the antibiotics I mentioned. The key is eliminating the infection even if your rooster loses his eye. Hopefully that wont happen.

Sulmet (sulfamethazine sodium) wouldnt be used for this type of injury. Here's what sulmet is used for in chickens:
Consider using baytril or amoxicillin. I also recommended terramycin eye ointment or neosporin ointment if you cant find the terramycin eye ointment, a 1/4 inch strip of ointment in the eye twice a day until healed should work in conjunction with one of the antibiotics I mentioned. The key is eliminating the infection even if your rooster loses his eye. Hopefully that wont happen.
Thanks for the info. I considered using Gentamyacin eye ointment for people but did not know if that would work, I will call the vet and see if I can get that. I hope he keeps his eye..it is a little better but I am worried the yellow spot I am seeing may be it trying to abscess.

Gentamicin eye ointment should work. I'm not sure, but the yellow spot you're seeing might be a scab. It would be best not to mess with it, just apply the ointment. Time heals.
Oh I had no intention of touching it! I am a nurse so I usually do most stuff myself without difficulty but chicken eyes are not really my experience and my birds are my babies!!!
I think if I can keep infection out and allow the swelling to go down he may keep the eye
fl.gif
because I walked up to him on that side today and i startled him where as the 2 days before he hardly even opened the eye and I could walk right up and he didn't notice even when it was open.

I got Amoxicillin drops and terramycin ointmant from my vet, just wondering about dosage strength. Last time I gave a chicken amox. I gave 2 units from an insulin syringe for a 5-6 lb chicken. Does that sound right?

Back
Top Bottom