Chicken with bald head

uisceros

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
Massachusetts, USA
Hi all,

This is not really an illness, or at least I don’t think it is! I have a 1.5 year old Serama who is currently bald.
IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0591.jpeg

I’m about 95% sure it’s due to my rooster. I have one serama rooster with six hens, but this poor girl is definitely his favorite. I think he just pulled all her head feathers out (along with a patch on her neck). She’s not missing feathers anywhere else.

Is there anything I can do about this? I feel so bad for her.

I’m about 95% sure it’s due to my rooster. I have one serama rooster with six hens, but this poor girl is definitely his favorite. I think he just pulled all her head feathers out (along with a patch on her neck). She’s not missing feathers anywhere else.

Is there anything I can do about this? I feel so bad for her.
I agree with you, looks like feather loss due to mating.

Loss can be common, but she's pretty bare.

Only solution I know of is to separate out the rooster and give the girls a break. See if she will feather back in.

I agree with you, looks like feather loss due to mating.

Loss can be common, but she's pretty bare.

Only solution I know of is to separate out the rooster and give the girls a break. See if she will feather back in.
Thanks for the help! I’ll separate my little roo out for a bit. They’re currently in a 22 sq/ft indoor cage for the winter, but I hope to move them to their 60 sq/ft outdoor coop very soon (as soon as it’s warm enough). I hope the extra space helps this whole situation. Luckily she’s still eating and acting normally, it mostly just looks bad.

Back
Top Bottom