Chicken with diarrhea

KHoward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Boston
Hello,

A friend has given me a chicken which is 1-year old and has had watery diarrhea for about 8 months now. She says the rest of her flock is perfectly fine and display no symptoms. This chicken still lays. My friend says she has been giving pro-biotics for months now with no improvement.

Since it has been 8-months (?!) I have to think whatever it is, is not communicable since her other chickens are fine.

Other than taking it to a vet, I'd love to hear some suggestions on how I might be able to treat her.

Thank you!

How is her behavior other wise. That seems to be a long time for runny poo
She seems perfectly normal otherwise and just has explosive diarrhea. Agreed about the length of time and I'm surprised that she hasn't died from dehydration yet.

Photos of the poop?

If it's been going on 8 months, then likely it's just the way she poops, but you could get a fecal float to rule out worms being part of the issue.

Photos?

What is fed?
You may want to cut out probiotics or any additions to food or water.
Fresh nutritionally balanced poultry feed, plain fresh water. Limit treats.

Update: My friend gave probiotics in the water for these past two weeks only, not for the past 8 months. She also gives them scratch on a daily basis, which I don't. My chickens free range so they get layer feed and whatever bugs and grass they find in the yard. We will see how this one does over the next few weeks.

The poop is like a black molten lava. :confused:

Update: My friend gave probiotics in the water for these past two weeks only, not for the past 8 months. She also gives them scratch on a daily basis, which I don't. My chickens free range so they get layer feed and whatever bugs and grass they find in the yard. We will see how this one does over the next few weeks.

The poop is like a black molten lava. :confused:
How is she now?

Back
Top Bottom