Chicken with eye problems

SJanay

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2015
I noticed today my hen having eye problems. Part of her eye is white and very watery/liquidy. Don't know if I actually saw drainage, but it did look bad. She kept it closed a lot and it seemed to hurt her when I tried to open it. She has been walking unsteadily and seems weak and tired. Advice??

*Ignore the beak issue; it is a birth defect that she has lived fine with.

Several different things could be going on here. 1) an injury. Was she pecked? Her eye is swollen and there looks like there is dried blood along the margins of her eyelids. 2) an infection. Which could have resulted from the injury. 3) a sinus infection which could make her eye look like it does.

Is there any discharge or drainage from her sinus? Is she sneezing? The fact that she is acting lethargic could directly stem from the possibility that she has an infection.

I would flush her eye with normal saline like you find in Refresh Eye drops or Optifree. You can put antibiotic salve on your finger and rub it around her eye. Some of it will get into the eye. She probably needs to be on an antibiotic also. Do you have an avian vet nearby that could take a look at her? Might be advisable especially since she is acting lethargic and weak, signs of a systemic infection or that the eye is really bothering her.

Hope she gets to feeling better.

I don't think she was pecked. Probably it's an infection. My sister told me that she did see drainage--"like she was crying." I just flushed her eye with some saline solution and then applied some triple antibiotic cream. I guess I'll just keep an eye on her and keep applying stuff. I don't have an avian vet, and I honestly don't have the money for that. Frankly, I wouldn't put money into her like that anyway. I prefer taking the home-care, natural care route. Thanks for your help!

No problem. You can rinse the eye as often as she will let you do it along with the ABT cream. Do you have her separated from the rest of your flock? Might be a good idea so the other hens don't peck at her bright red eye.

Ok. Unfortunately, I have other hens occupying the 'infirmary' cages, so I don't have any way to separate her. So far I think they're leaving her alone.

Back
Top Bottom