Chicken with Eyelid deformity, Eye feels Swollen

MysticUniKitty

Crowing
Mar 2, 2019
North Texas,Collin County
20210116_184432.jpg

This is One Eyed Peggy when we brought her home. She's now 3 weeks and I couldn't get a photo of the eye this morning going to try again this after noon with my son holding her while i take a photo.

So I happened to pick out a chick and when i got it home I saw it had an eyelid deformity. The Right eye lid is fully open but tilted to a slightly angled position that i didn't notice until now that it's older. The Left one it looks like when formed, it didn't open all the way. The opening is the size of a pin head. Last week a few of the chicks started sneezing and the chick with the eye issue had a bit of swelling. So I ordered Tylan powder i found online as this stuff is hard to find!!! (i called 5 feed stores and the vets around are not bird vets so they don't have it either) It got here three days ago and i began treating everyone due to the sneezing going on.

Everyone is starting to look a lot better but Now Peggy's (the chick with eye issues) I picked her up, feels like she's eating good and feeling heavier. She's now about 3 weeks, feathers are coming in good and she let me pet and massage her right under the swollen eye area. I did touch it and it feels like the eyeball itself is swollen or has dropped down, as it feels solid and not squishy. I was suuppper careful and gentle and made sure to wash my hands and everything afterwards.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this? She is on Tylan for another 2 or 3 days. Just to make sure it's not bacterial. But i'm wondering how to help this lil one's eye or if there is anything i can do? I can't find a bird vet near me I'm looking further out now but until then I wanted to ask here.

Thank you!

20210131_174825.jpg

This is the bad eye, with the swelling it is forcing the deformed eyelid to open more. The swelling is the entire cheek area up to the eye. I did some more searching and looks like it might be an abscess? I'm going to check with a vet about and hour away tomorrow if they do poultry. I'm just really hesitant to try and open that as my hands shake badly when i try doing small precise things.
20210131_174845.jpg

straight forward view, my son has super warm hands all the time, if a chick is being squirmy I ask him to hold it as they melt into his hands like butter :love

20210131_174840.jpg

the good eye with a slight tilt to it. or maybe it's normal? Should feathers be near the eyelid like this?

I say she as i'm hoping this is a girl, we shall see! But I want her to have a good life and trying to make sure she's as comfy as possible even if she can't see well out of one eye. She's part of a flock so she's not alone at least. :)

Any tips on how to help her till i can find a vet would be very welcome!!
Thanks!

This chick did not make it. We were very sad as she was the sweetest...... We think there may have been several things going on with possible more severe disease that i didn't notice.
Her eye looks similar to my hen when she was a chick, I had posted about her here somewhere. When I find the thread, you can take a look

This chick did not make it. We were very sad as she was the sweetest...... We think there may have been several things going on with possible more severe disease that i didn't notice.
I just found and read this thread and I'm so very sorry for your loss of your dear little One Eyed Peggy. She was precious. I'm so sorry no vet would see her, that's heartbreaking. You did everything you could and tried so hard to help her :hugs
This special little one was so much loved and was so well taken care for - those are the things that filled her time in this world.
Sending lots of hugs ❤️ I'm so sorry 😞

I just found and read this thread and I'm so very sorry for your loss of your dear little One Eyed Peggy. She was precious. I'm so sorry no vet would see her, that's heartbreaking. You did everything you could and tried so hard to help her :hugs
This special little one was so much loved and was so well taken care for - those are the things that filled her time in this world.
Sending lots of hugs ❤️ I'm so sorry 😞
Hello! Thank you so much! Yes it was very sad that day... I'm just glad she knew she was loved! It's so hard when you try to help and in the end it's still not working. But it won't stop me from taking in another in the future or trying again :)

Back
Top Bottom