Chicken with hole in her back & diarrhea - to isolate or not?

SweetandSavory

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2015
So my newest dilemma! My black copper maran who had some feathers missing and a little cut, I believe from her clueless rooster, that I put Blu-kote on now has a gaping hole in her back probably due to hen pecking (I'd take a pic but she is hiding under the bathtub) so from what I've read on here I should irrigate with saline and use antibiotic ointment without painkiller which I'm prepared to do. We looked for antibiotics at TS but didn't see any that I believe would work. (1st questions - which one to use that is readily available?) She hadn't eaten much in the last few days, at least her crop feels empty to me although I had looked through the window and she was eating on Saturday. She now has diarrhea. Is this from stress of being inside? or is it Mareks? (confirmed on the farm) Am I making her worst from keeping her from the flock? Should I clean her up, put Blu-Kote on her and send her back out? Keep her in till her feathers grow back?

Any thoughts on any of my plan would be very much appreciated.

I'm wondering if its a tumor/cyst or an infected feather follicle? Its on her back at the base of her neck.

Anyone have

I would try to do some soaks with some betadine, hibiclens, or hydrogen peroxide to soften the scab, and try to debride it a little until it bleeds slightly. Then apply plain Neosporin Ointment to it daily so that it doesn't dry out. She needs to be penned preferably inside the coop with the other chickens until she heals.

Last edited:
I would try to do some soaks with some betadine, hibiclens, or hydrogen peroxide to soften the scab, and try to debride it a little until it bleeds slightly. Then apply plain Neosporin Ointment to it daily so that it doesn't dry out. She needs to be penned preferably inside the coop with the other chickens until she heals.

I've been soaking with other products but I will try the ones you mentioned. My concern is it doesn't appear to be an infection, there isn't any odor, and it is a large ball. So I think not an abscess but if its a tumor will it heal?

Our coop doesn't really allow for that so she's in my bathroom. Its the best I can do right now. She wasn't eating before.

She's eating now but her crop never feels full and she still has diarrhea. Does that make sense?

It's possible that it is a tumor, but I thought it was in the same area that she was injured by the rooster. With Mareks in the environment tumors would be very common. Tumors won't heal, so if it starts to shrink with treatment, it may be a wound.

Back
Top Bottom