Chicken with runny stool

Bmxer883

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
So I posted once about this chicken and not much was said one person thought to deworm I'm going try that but not sure if I need to do something else.

So for last week or two chicken has acted off head down a lot and stays right by heat lamp. Poop is lil runny and white. I have never dewormed chickens this is only acting different. She is pretty old between 7-9 years so could it just be her time?
IMG_20231211_193810678.jpg

Original thread here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-hen.1607733/

I suggest you worm these chickens. It was a good suggestion, and it's the first thing I would suggest.

The poopy butt feathers can be from a systemic yeast infection and/or a reproductive infection. It may be very advanced by now, and treating may not help much, especially at this advanced age.

Is this the only hen with this problem or do others have this messy discharge, also?

Chicken still is pushing through I dewormed still just doesn't seem right. What does old age look like? She keeps going every day but just looks rough.

That honestly looks like pasty butt.... My hen Gert gets that all the time.
Sometimes certain hens in particular will have runny poo more often than others. Try using a warm wet rag and rub that poo of of there.
It also looks like vent gleet possibly??? Usually with pasty butt a chicken won't have so much poo on their vent area, so it's probably vent gleet. Read the attached link to learn more:

Vent gleet causes, treatments, and symptoms

- talkinboutchickens

Are you washing her vent area to keep it clean? Does she have any lice or mites on her skin? Is she eating and drinking, or seem interested if you offer a small treat of scrambled egg? I would check her crop in early morning to make sure that it is emptying overnight. Let us know what you find.

You could also try to add probiotics to her water. I have a 4 year old Easter Egger
who had watery poop. It was suggested on this Forum to add probiotics to her
water and cut out the treats. I did cut out the treats and added the SavAChic powdered
probiotics to the water. That was 6 days ago. Her poop is back to normal. Worth
a try. Good luck

So her bottom has got a lot better since picture. She is out and about every day but night time just watching her I would think she's close to death lol hunch down and labor breathing but it's been this way for months now. She is our oldest chicken probably 7-8 yrs old just didn't know if it's old age

Thought she was getting better but yesterday noticed her head hunched down not moving much and today sour croup.. Im going get probiotics and some kind of de wormer again I guess. any recommendations? Last time I bought a medicated feed that said for worming. All the other stuff I found was all natural just like oregano and stuff.

Back
Top Bottom