Chicken with swollen throat

blondie55555

Chirping
Feb 14, 2023
Just found a chicken with a swollen throat. Swollen inbetween waddles. Noticed it after watching her struggling to eat. Noticed she had trouble swallowing, mouth is open, shaking head. Looked in throat and just big and red(dark pink). Treated them with Valbazen 2x, round of Corbin (10 days). Some still have diarrhea on others, saw this yesterday, noticed this one today. No others acting sick at the moment other than poop, but lost one last week. Assuming it’s something contagious or something else new. Not feasible to do necropsy.

Wondering should I retreat with Valbazen? Ended Corbin Nov 4, Valbazen 10-31

Could these all be related? Antibiotic? Which, where find, how much. I have people amoxicillin pills (augmenting).

Attachments

• IMG_8760.jpeg
    IMG_8760.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8761.jpeg
    IMG_8761.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 11
Other brown diareah, saw this poop, not sure what this one poop looks like

Attachments

• IMG_8762.jpeg
    IMG_8762.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
Just found a chicken with a swollen throat. Swollen inbetween waddles. Noticed it after watching her struggling to eat. Noticed she had trouble swallowing, mouth is open, shaking head. Looked in throat and just big and red(dark pink). Treated them with Valbazen 2x, round of Corbin (10 days). Some still have diarrhea on others, saw this yesterday, noticed this one today. No others acting sick at the moment other than poop, but lost one last week. Assuming it’s something contagious or something else new. Not feasible to do necropsy.

Wondering should I retreat with Valbazen? Ended Corbin Nov 4, Valbazen 10-31

Could these all be related? Antibiotic? Which, where find, how much. I have people amoxicillin pills (augmenting).
Can you get some photos of the inside of her beak and underneath her beak too?

Any bad odor coming from the beak?

You report nothing in the beak, but how about under the tongue anything?

What does the swelling feel like - hard, soft, squishy?

Valbazen is a dewormer and Corid is a Coccidiostat, I don't see either of those helping with the swelling.

An antibiotic may help, but depending on the cause, Amoxicillin may not be the correct one to use.
If vet care an option?

Can you get some photos of the inside of her beak and underneath her beak too?

Any bad odor coming from the beak?

You report nothing in the beak, but how about under the tongue anything?

What does the swelling feel like - hard, soft, squishy?

Valbazen is a dewormer and Corid is a Coccidiostat, I don't see either of those helping with the swelling.

An antibiotic may help, but depending on the cause, Amoxicillin may not be the correct one to use.
If vet care an option?
I originally thought it might be gapeworm but have probably discarded that idea. I did find yuk inside her beak. I had originally thought it was her food stuck on her tongue yesterday (white but won’t wipe off). It’s inside along the end of her beak. I do not smell anything. The swelling in between wattles is mushy. I also think this is probably not related to the other issues.

Attached are pictures taken today, seems yesterday was more brown with white strip on top . I had thought is was her tongue. Don’t recall seeing black yesterday. It does not stretch up to her throat inside yet, actually doesn’t seem to have travelled from yesterday. I did give her acv and garlic water yesterday and minerals. I just gave her an epsom treatment and now she’s eating. Ordered sulphate. I’m reading of a few ailments, but she doesn’t smell and there is/was no yellow. Pox? But nothing elsewhere that I see. They are in an enclosed pen. Wondering if possible she just got a puncture and it’s infected under beak? She’s eating and drinking, poop looks normal, and does not appear ill otherwise.

It looks like canker which usually has a bad odor. Have you seen any fowl pox recently? Wet fowl pox can look a bit like canker. A tumor could also be a possibility. Will any of the material come out?

Haven’t seen any spots on them and haven’t seen others with this issue yet. Other issues resulting from apparently cocciliosis. Would possibly Valbazen, Corrid, ACV, garlic, Poultry Cell, home Enzyme recipe, too much etc cause it? I rarely give them anything other than their food and occasional meal worms due to their issues. I did just recently change them from grower to layer feed.

I didn’t try to scrape it. How should I try to get it off? It looked dry, not like a lesion. I can’t keep her mouth open long while holding her. I will check her again in the morning and see if it smells yet and see how it’s progressing.

Back
Top Bottom