CHICKEN WITH WORMS.. I did not know chicken got worms!!!

Doesn't feeding them pumpkin help with worms? I remember reading that somewhere and always put out a few twice a year for them to eat.
Welcome to BYC! Sorry to say this, but pumpkin will not treat worms. The best way to treat worms is to work with a vet and have regular fecal done. If worm eggs are found the vet can advise you on how to treat the worms found.

from the description you provided, if you can afford it, this bird needs to get to a vet asap. i would be very worried about the inability to stand without wobbling and the emaciation.

Last edited:
Do you have a feed store and/or vet supply near you? They usually carry dewormers such as Wazine or Ivermectin to treat birds. I usually use the Wazine because it is cheaper. It works great for roundworms, etc and is added to the drinking water, so all of the chickens can be treated at once.

ETA: Sometimes the chicken poo will show signs of eggs. Sometimes they are lethargic....other times they act fine. If you suspect they have worms, I'd deworm them. Just don't eat the chicken eggs for 2 weeks (so I have been told...because of the dwormer, not the worms).

Last edited:
BarkerChickens, should you do this a couple times a year or when do you know to deworm them. I don't know if mine has worms or not. I did not know about chickens and worms. How often do you worm yours? DJ

I don't know much about chicken worms at all but I do know I wouldn't eat one that had them
smile.png

Quote:
Honestly, in the past year and half I have dewormed by chickens once. If all seems fine, I let them be.
smile.png

Edited to fix spellling

Last edited:
Thank you so much for this information. One of my chickens had a worm in its feces.
ep.gif
I didn't know that chickens got worms.
hu.gif
I am off to the feed store to get the worm medicine. Do you have to treat the coop? Do you have to treat the yard they roam in?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom