CHICKEN WITH WORMS.. I did not know chicken got worms!!!

Wormwood tincture in their water also helps. In severe cases, such as gapeworm, I've had success administering a wormwood/yogurt mix for no more than 10 days/2x per day (about 2cc's). If you want to know how to make wormwood tincure (herbal extract in alcolhol) you can google it, or I can do another post - let me know...

I appreciate your help too. I have never heard of wormwood tinture. If you don't mind sharing, I'd appreciate it that way we can all know.
thumbsup.gif

There are a few things you can do to MINIMIZE exposure. (applies to all grazing/foraging animals/birds) Rotational grazing/free range is one. Removing droppings, eliminating/controlling intermediate hosts. (worms, flies, grasshoppers) Sounds almost impossible, especially with chickens, huh? Some worm eggs can survive months... months and months... waiting for the right conditions to hatch/infect host. They can also survive harsh conditions, AND most dewormers used (on any animal/fowl) only get ADULT stages of the worms... the egg and larvae stages are rarely affected by dewormers. So, those have to mature to adults in the chicken before you can kill them.

IMO, a consistent deworming rotation is best... reducing the number of eggs shed into the environment. But honestly, anything that grazes, forages and/or eats bugs is going to get worms. Simple as that. You will NEVER eliminate them completely...ever. Management is all you can do. Deworm on a schedule that's appropriate for your location, that's about all you can do.

Some people only deworm on an as needed basis. If/when they see any problems or symptoms. I prefer to deworm on a schedule. As with any of my livestock, I want the best feed conversion possible (among other things) and I won't feed worms!
hmm.png
Well, any more than I HAVE to....
IMO, by the time you SEE problems or symptoms of worm infestation, you've got a BIG infestation. (if you see worms in poop BEFORE any deworming treatment, that's likely a sign of a pretty decent infestation. You won't see worms in poop, hardly ever, until you deworm... any that are pooped out before a treatment are sick/dying/dead for some reason...there are lots more-- and 'healthy ones' don't get pooped out)

Are these wormers expensive? Is there anywhere online you can buy them? I looked around my local farm store and all they had was some sort of paste for horses, so it was way more than I needed. Any advice?

What is the age limit for worming? I picked up one of our pullets yesterday and noticed that she seems fairly skinny. So I thought to myself that I should worm but don't want to worm if their too young. They are just over 3 mos old. Thanks for any help!!

Quote:
Great post ND...couldnt have explained it better myself. LadyWoodsong. You can order wormers from jeffers livestock online or call the number on their website. Most of the wormers you come across are for other animals besides chickens. There is only one approved wormer for poultry...wazine. Wazine only gets rid of large roundworms. I recommend it for first time wormings, otherwise I recommend Valbazen...it kills all known worms that chickens can get. Valbazen is a cattle and sheep wormer. Safeguard paste is an equine wormer, safeguard 10% suspension is a liquid goat wormer. Most, if not all the different types of ivermectin are cattle/horse wormers. All of these wormers can be used to worm chickens at lower dosage rates. Yes, they will last you a long time, probably up to the expiration date. It's best to have a couple different wormers on hand for rotation purposes to prevent worm immunity to one particular wormer. Expense wise, you're looking at anywhere from about $10 each for wazine and safeguard paste. The rest of the wormers are in the $30-$40 range, not including shipping.

Quote:
Me personally, I wouldnt worm a pullet that young unless she was acting lethargic, hardly eating or drinking AND/OR if I saw worms in her poop. The reason is that I dont believe worms would've infested her in such a short period of time unless you've had her on bare ground from day one, which I seriously doubt. I think it would be a question of whether she's getting enough feed to eat or a lack of vitamins and minerals. You can add poultry nutri drench in the water to increase vitamin and mineral intake. Give her scrambled eggs mixed in her feed to increase protein intake, mix some plain yogurt in it as well, she'll gobble it up. Continue this for awhile and she should put some weight on in no time.

Quote:
Me personally, I wouldnt worm a pullet that young unless she was acting lethargic, hardly eating or drinking AND/OR if I saw worms in her poop. The reason is that I dont believe worms would've infested her in such a short period of time unless you've had her on bare ground from day one, which I seriously doubt. I think it would be a question of whether she's getting enough feed to eat or a lack of vitamins and minerals. You can add poultry nutri drench in the water to increase vitamin and mineral intake. Give her scrambled eggs mixed in her feed to increase protein intake, mix some plain yogurt in it as well, she'll gobble it up. Continue this for awhile and she should put some weight on in no time.

Awesome!! Thanks for the help. I just got back from Tractor Supply and picked up some liquid vitamins and minerals to put in their water. I'm planning on worming all the adults and just adding the vitamins to the babies water. I think I'm going to fix some eggs tonight. I think it so odd feeding chickens something that they produce. LOL..but hey if it works I'm doin it!! Thanks again!!

That was very help full. i think i do know some chick had a worm .i give it the swin stuff and 2 days later i got a fat clear i think worm yuck. found it today cleaning there beds out. new at this and i did have a chick come and go. but that was gross. going to look it up yuckk i would never eat my chicks worms or not frizzles. THANKS SIMONE

Back
Top Bottom