Chicken won’t go in hen house at night

Pics
You could try something else—like fruit. My older chickens will kill for apple pieces, blueberries, cantaloupe. Mine like corn chips too. Good luck!

As they get older they will get kitchen scraps as a regular part of their feed. I've been limiting such things strictly now while they're still babies.

The smallest bag of mealworms I could get was still way too big and it looks like I'm going to be a loooong time using it. *sigh*

When I started with my first flock, some chickens would go in the coop at night, no problem, but others would stay in the run. My run is predator proof but I still wanted them to go in the coop. About an hour before the usual bedtime, I would sprinkle either some sunflower seeds or mealworms in the coop to get everyone in. Within the week, I no longer had to sprinkle any treats in the coop, everyone went in at nighttime. I haven’t had any problems since because the older chickens show the younger ones how it is done.

We had the same problem when ours were young. Then I turned the light on in the coop and they went in. After a few nights they were trained so I no longer have to use the light. It doesn't look as if you have electricity out there but a flashlight or something similar might work.

Close them in the coop for a day that is cool. Check for snakes they can get in anywhere. What do you have for flooring in o\your coop? mine prefers a mixture of cedar and pine with marigold, rosemary, and other herbs and flower petals.

Ye the vent is on the front and back so air can go straight through and the top of the roof has a 2 in gal the whole length. The left side vent is 1 ft wide and six ft tall on both sides with hardware cloth
Take out that roosting bar in the middle of the run. Attach it inside the coop about the same height. Feed them in the coop. I think they most likely really like that roosting bar and it has become habitual to use it. If you dont have vent holes around the top of your coop...drill some holes around the top to let the hot air out. Lastly. Put a light inside the coop for several days to turn on at dusk. Sometimes chicks are funky about the dark..especially if you raised them in a lighted area when they were chicks.

My flock on average are 70 days old. There are 12 of them and at night they huddle out side the hen house and I have to pick each one up every night to put to bed about 9pm. They aren’t afraid of the house. It’s completely predator proof and they go in and out all day long. They are getting heavy and I don’t know how to get them to go in by themselves.
Doesn’t look like much light source (window etc)! Once hits dusk may be too dark in coop. My door shut accidentally one day and they wouldn’t go in- but shined light in there and went right in.

Did you try coop jail for a week or so? Maybe they are not sure its a place to sleep. Also they have a nice roost in the middle of your run...perhaps they think its their coop? My chickens were laying eggs on top of the hay storage, so I grounded them for 3 days to let them know where to lay. We'll see if it works.

I have the same problem, my chickens will not go in the coops on their own. Its so annoying because the biggest one flaps like crazy when I pick her up to put her away at night. I've started opening the back hatch during the day to add more air flow in case they were stuffy from the heat of the day.

Back
Top Bottom