Chicken won't walk!

chickenchick32

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Rock Hill SC
I have a 4 month old broiler roo. A few weeks ago, it was attacked by the other chickens. Tore him up pretty badly. We separated and put it in the out grower. But now he won't walk. He eats and drinks just fine, but won't walk at all. His legs don't seem to be broken and no bumblefoot. But when we get to the point where we say we need to put him down, he will get up and start moving around like he is fine. Next day, back to the same thing. I'm worried about him. What should i do? It breaks my heart to think about putting him down (yes I'm very attached) but i don't want him to suffer if there's nothing that can be done.

Last edited:
Or maybe restrict his feed intake to 2Xs a day for 15 minutes each with free range in between?
I wound up with a cornish cross (accidently) and was advised to do the above. So far so good. It's really hard to not fall in love with these sweet gentle giants. Good luck! :fl

When they go down on their legs like that and don't move much, the end is near.
Agree with Rod-T 100%. Butcher him asap before he keels over from organ failure; if that happens, he will be filled with nasty yellow foul smelling fluid and be inedible.
At least if you butcher now, your family can have a chicken dinner. He may need to be stewed due to his late age, though.
Don't be surprised to see blisters on the breast when the feathers are plucked.
I know it's your pet and I get that but he truly must be suffering. The hotter it gets, the faster he may die.
I have raised them for meat and I have seen them die from heart failure, even WITH feed restrictions. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom