Chickens aggressive after surgery

dandelion_fields

Hatching
May 21, 2023
I am the current owner of two hens about 9 months old. Recently, one of my hens required surgery for a crop impaction. Due to this, she has needed to stay inside for about a month. During that time, she was reintroduced to the other hen multiple times, and would constantly growl at her and try to peck her whenever she got the chance, forcing them to be separated again. The other hen seems to take it, and is not aggressive nor controlling of food or anything towards her. My aggressive hen made a full recovery, but I'm worried if I leave them both outside together again they will hurt each other. They are both Rhode Island Reds, and live in a space about 2m across and 1 m width. How can I stop this aggressive behaviour before one gets hurt?

What is your location? UK? Just a wild guess.

How long did you leave the two to try to work things out on their own? Sometimes it can take a little scuffling before they settle things.

The issue here is space, I believe. First of all, it's normal for a returning chicken to need to address the pecking order. Your recovering hen is attacking because the other hen has assumed rank over her and is reluctant to give it up. More often than not, they will settle this dispute in less than a minute. But sometimes it can take much longer to "negotiate".

You do need to increase the space these two have. There needs to be room for each to retreat when needed. Try to plan on that. Meanwhile, try leaving one outside the enclosure and one inside and let them negotiate on opposite sides of the enclosure. Later, try them together again without interfering.

What is your location? UK? Just a wild guess.

How long did you leave the two to try to work things out on their own? Sometimes it can take a little scuffling before they settle things.

The issue here is space, I believe. First of all, it's normal for a returning chicken to need to address the pecking order. Your recovering hen is attacking because the other hen has assumed rank over her and is reluctant to give it up. More often than not, they will settle this dispute in less than a minute. But sometimes it can take much longer to "negotiate".

You do need to increase the space these two have. There needs to be room for each to retreat when needed. Try to plan on that. Meanwhile, try leaving one outside the enclosure and one inside and let them negotiate on opposite sides of the enclosure. Later, try them together again without interfering.
Location is Serbia. I should also add that is just the size of their nesting house. They have plenty of space outside to roam.
When I first reintroduced them, I let them onto the tiles in the house. When they first fought I assumed my first hen (dn) was just protective over the house, so I let them outside and the same thing happened. I did not interfere until my other hen was pecked 3 times and tried to perch to get away from dn. I was also thinking about adding another hen to my flock? Just to give my other hen a friend? Im not sure whether this would improve the situation or not though. Thank you for your help ❤️

Adding a chicken to a flock will definitely change things. It will give them each two other chickens to compete with, but "friends" is not something that happens that quickly. It would be the difference between you relating to all of the people in your neighborhood amicably but only making close friends over many years with just a few.

Chickens have flock loyalty where they all more or less get along day by day. Adding a hen might help, or it may not.

I would not have guessed Serbia. Glad you've joined this community. You'll have lots of support, and we have advice when you get ready to add the new hen.

Location is Serbia.
Welcome to BYC! @dandelion_fields
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1684764120882.png

Back
Top Bottom