chickens and chiggers

dianhawks

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 17, 2014
Do chickens eat chigger? we have so many chiggers and to afraid to use pesticides. Does anyone have idea on how to get rid of the chiggers without hurting my chickens? Thanks, Diane

welcome-byc.gif
from Washington! In our flock we have great people and it is always great to have a new member:) In our flock, we have no pecking order!

frow.gif

barnie.gif
those must drive you crazy!
big_smile.png
But I am sorry, I do not have any advice with them, for I do not have them
celebrate.gif
I am glad I do not but I hope you get the problem solved!
fl.gif

Welcome to BYC, Diane! I grew up in chigger country. Chickens don't eat chiggers (unless it's accidental in eating vegetation). They are so small that I doubt chickens can even see them. I know I can't see them unless they are bloated with blood. Then they look like little red dots. Actually there are some ways to rid your yard of chiggers without using pesticides. Make sure you mow and cut the grass short, especially around the edges where the grass meets other plants or woody areas. Remove any accumulated leaf litter and trim any landscape plants. Remove any brushpiles from your property. Chiggars avoid sunny areas, so eliminate anything feasible that provides shade for them. After you have done these preliminary things (at least as much as is possible), buy some powdered soil sulphur and spread it all over your yard early in the morning while the sun is still low in the sky. Be careful when handling the sulphur. Use gloves, eye protection, and a mask over your mouth and nose. Afterward, water your yard for 30 to 45 minutes. The watered sulphur will not harm your chickens, but it should rid the yard of chiggers. We used this procedure on our yard in northeast Texas and it worked very well. Good luck.

Glad you joined the flock. Just reading the word chiggers has me itching and scratching. Michael has given you some great information on controlling/eliminating them.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't think they do. We have them here too and I get lots of them on me in the chicken yards. So I would imagine the chickens would be eating them if they could. And yes, they are pretty tiny, almost impossible to even see. Nasty little things!

Welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom