chickens and electric fences

zrossk

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 11, 2011
Blandon, Pennsylvania
Hello, my grandparents neighbors have at least 50 chickens and they were very cool to watch. I stuck my hand in the fence and i found out the hard way it was electric. I was just wondering if electric fences could hurt chickens?

Last edited:
I was just wondering if electric fences could hurt chickens?

Most of the time , no.
Some of the old non pulsing "weed burner" chargers could possibly kill a bird if it got caught in the fence and couldn't get off but many times it doesn't even shock them at all​

Last edited:
I have the OLD Constant on- (No pulse) weed burner.
and YES! I have had a hen that got her neck on the wire killed!
There is just enough power in them to constrict the muscles of their small bodies. Once it hit her flesh it grabbed her and the electricity just caused her muscles to pull down her neck harder onto the wire. Before i could get out of the house and get her off, it was too late. So Yes the non pulsing electric fences can and will kill chickens! PLease PLease be careful when using the old strong chargers! I had to learn this the hard way.
sad.png

now I only turn it on in the evening after they are all in the coop and off in the morning when I get up for work at 4am. The reason for the strong charger is I have coons, skunks, possum, coyotes, fox, and bobcat. And it does keep them out! I have 1 strand about 4 inches out and 6 inches up from ground and 1 strand 4 inches out from the top edge of a 6 foot fence. I have seen the coons when they got a hold of the wire. It was funny, but they don't come back again!!!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom