chickens and pheasants??

insanity

Songster
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Northwest Wy
I am looking at getting my hubby some red gold pheasants but have a quick question. I've heard that you can't keep chickens and pheasants together because of disease, is this true. Everyone would be housed separately but there always seems to be some intermingling (adventuring rouge chickens). And if things get real cold I only have 1 heated coop but it rarely comes to that.

Yes. Its true. Keeping them together has and can be done. Its just that it sure isnt the best recommended procedure because of this. Do the best you can of keeping the two apart if thats the path you choose and hope for the best. Good luck.

They can be together, but really shouldn't be. It sounds like you already have a good setup for them to be separate and honestly my worry wouldn't be heating so much but you mentioned rogue chickens getting around. If chickens can get into other areas, so can predators, unless I'm misunderstanding your setup? I'm not sure what your weather is like but I'm in NY and my Goldens never use their warming area.

We spoke with a pheasant breeder and decided to wait on pheasants for now. The rogue chickens are a pair of DuUccle that sneak past your feet, fly over 7 ft fences, and basically go where they please. My night run 8x10 is netted which slows the little buggers down but the day run isn't ( 2/3rd acre of garden) Thats where they make their escape then it can take days to trick them back in. Maybe when they are gone?

The rogue chickens are a pair of DuUccle that sneak past your feet, fly over 7 ft fences, and basically go where they please.
gig.gif
haha they sound like a little mission impossible pair

Hi everyone.

I tried keeping golden pheasants and chickens together. Bad idea. Pheasants are quite shy and flighty so the chickens would bully them and steal their food. The chickens will also tread on and break their tail feathers, leaving them looking a mess.

You're right about disease. Pheasants also aren't as hardy as chickens and can easily become ill from being around them.

If you're going to keep pheasants, build an aviary especially for them. They like lots of space so their tails don't get damaged and they enjoy thick perches (if the perches are too thin, their feathers won't cover their feet when they sit down and they can get frost bite...)

They don't like to sleep in coops. They like to roost in trees and high perches.

It's a good idea to hang food baskets around to keep them entertained, they love it. Make sure you give them plenty of hiding places as they're shy creatures :)

Here's my pheasant:

Last edited:
Hi Redgolden

Golden pheasants are quite hardy birds however they can get frost bite on their toes if they're not given the correct perches. I would always give them a large covered area over their sleeping perches to ensure they're dry and comfortable. Covering their sleeping area will also help keep them looking their best.

My avaiary is covered with a clear, perspex roof which effectively keeps predators out, allows the sun to shine in and keeps the rain, snow and wind out.

Back
Top Bottom