Chickens ate roundup treated grass

6girls

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
What should I do? Will my hens get ill? what are the symptoms and what about the eggs--will they be contaminated?

Found this at Ehow...

Roundup Weed Killer is one of the most common types of plant herbicides on the market. Many people with young children and pets are worried about the dangers of using Roundup in places where animals or children may interact with this product. It is wise to take precautions when using Roundup, and seek out alternatives when possible.

Use

Roundup Weed Killer is used to chemically destroy unwanted plant life. It is not recommended for use in public areas such as parks and schools, or commercial properties.
Precautions

It is advised by the manufacturer that both children and pets should be kept away from plants exposed to Roundup until the plant dries. This helps to eliminate the possibility of ingestion of the product by eating a leaf or other portion of the plant.
Dangers

The active chemical in Roundup Weed Killer is Glyphosate which is poisonous if ingested. Symptoms of illness include nausea, vomiting, weakness, irritation in the mouth, difficulty breathing and possibly coma.
Alternatives

An alternative to using Roundup Weed Killer in places where children and pets are commonly present is to use a combination of vinegar and water, which will burn the weeds. Other alternatives include pulling the weeds or restricting access to the area until it is safe, according to the manufacturer's guidelines.
Treatment

Should your pet ingest plants recently treated with Roundup Weed Killer you should administer as much water as possible to dilute the chemicals. A visit to a veterinarian may be warranted if any signs of weakness or lethargic behavior occur.

Read more: Dangers of Roundup Weed Killer for Pets | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5306547_dangers-roundup-weed-killer-pets.html#ixzz1R8rSbL4f

The eggs might have a soft shell or no shell at all. Don't eat the eggs for at least 2 weeks. New studies are saying Roundup causes birth defects in baby rats. My friends chickens ate the grass and all kinds of weird eggs were layed it took the hens about 2 months to straighten out. Good luck I hope they are ok. The Hens are now 7 and 8 so it didn't kill them and they did lay nice big eggs after the chemical left the bodies. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom