chickens beginning to get angry?

DaveTaunton

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
Taunton, England
I've noticed one of our hens has a big red patch on her wing and they are beginning to fight a bit. One has even taken to becoming an escape artist. Is this normal behaviour every now and then? It's never happened in the 3 weeks we've had them. I'm getting quite concerned about the whole situation

It sounds like your hen may be getting picked on by the others. How many do you have? How big is their coop/pen area. If they are overcrowded that can lead to pecking.

We have 5 hens. The coop is a converted garage so it's pretty big. The run is about 10 meters long and 3 ish wide which is going to be extended. They all started off fine and now I've noticed a few feathers lying around. They're going through a moult too. Will that have anything to do with it?

It definitely could be the molt. They can lose quite a few feathers that you would think you lost a chicken. Have you seen that hen getting picked on at all? Do you have a picture?

I haven't. I'll try to get one when they stop scampering around the garden haha. They are definitely going through a moult. It's just this small red patch. It's slightly scabby. It doesn't seem to be bothering her though

Back
Top Bottom