Chickens being way too loud

Riverbend Farms

Songster
Apr 21, 2022
California
My chickens have been way too loud. I am absolutely sick of it. They have no reason to. It is mainly my lead hen, a 2 year old BO Hen. It is a problem because we have neighbors in close proximity. I am worried about us having to get rid of them. They have enough room, water, and food. It is about 70 out. Any advice? They are all hens.

Some are quiet and some are loudmouths for sure.

We had two cream legbar hens. I could not believe the racket.
One was the worst. She would start her whiny egg song two hours before she laid an egg. She had to lay in one of the garden pots, not one of the many nestboxes. If we humans dared walk by while she was having her hours long Pot Siesta before laying, she would jump up, whine-sing while pacing around the yard, and only get back on her pot when we left or stopped moving.
For two hours after she laid an egg, she would sing her whiny egg song.
And when another hen would lay she would take up their song and seek to screech over the top of them.
We rehomed them both and swore never again to get one of their breed, even if some are better it's not worth the risk!
The hens we have now are quiet and don't even sing. Most in the past have been content with a 1-5 minute song, no biggie.

This probably in my head more than anything but I talk to them in a very quiet low voice. We recently added two older laying hens to our little flock and they are noisier than our others. I bring out treats like fresh kale and dole it out when they quiet down a bit. It seems to be helping.

My chickens have been way too loud. I am absolutely sick of it. They have no reason to. It is mainly my lead hen, a 2 year old BO Hen. It is a problem because we have neighbors in close proximity. I am worried about us having to get rid of them. They have enough room, water, and food. It is about 70 out. Any advice? They are all hens.
Yeah, chickens can be noisy. In my experience, some louder than others. I currently have two Australorps that are sisters- one is really loud and squawks for food all the time, and the other is quiet and almost never talks. And when she does, it’s wouldn't more of a squeak to me 😂.

We can have chickens. We don't need to worry about most of our neighbors, one even really likes the chickens, the only we really have to worry about is the weed smoking neighbors to the left and even then the guy doesn't even come out of his bedroom very often.
It’s funny, you’d think the weed smoking neighbors would be more mellow. 😂

Back
Top Bottom