Chickens Breaking Their Necks on Coop Windows?

Seabright12

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Oklahoma
Somewhere I read that coop windows should be a certain height above the floor to keep chickens from flying into them and breaking their necks. Of course, I read that after I installed the coop window about a foot off the floor (it's a coop on stilts). Has anyone else had the problem of chickens flying into closed windows? I'll be moving the chicks into the coop in the next couple days. Should I be concerned and hang a curtain or something? I'm also concerned because the roosts are the same height as the window. I'm wondering if they'll try to fly out the window from the roosts.

Thanks!

To keep predators out, there should be hardware cloth (not screens) over the window openings. I've never seen the chickens fly at the widows though. Sounds like an old wives tale.

I have not seen that as an issue.

I did years ago have a hen fly into a window but that was because my sons dog went into the coop behind me, chased the hen and she flew into it and broke it. All was well.

If the window is going to be a functional window it needs hardware cloth over it anyway so that should provide enough of a barrier to keep a chicken from flying into it. If stationary window maybe a sheer or pieces of cloth hanging down to ease your mind.

Back
Top Bottom