Chickens dying in brooder box

phillrumble

Hatching
Feb 5, 2015
Hi guys I've got chickens in my brooder box and I'm losing one a day and I don't know why. They got medicated food plenty of water and a heat lamp. They got some feathers and all seam healthy then all of a sudden they die. Any ideas

Cheers

Hi guys I've got chickens in my brooder box and I'm losing one a day and I don't know why. They got medicated food plenty of water and a heat lamp. They got some feathers and all seam healthy then all of a sudden they die. Any ideas

Cheers

Is the brooder too hot? can they move away from heat if they're too warm? Are they cold and piling on each other, possibly smothering chicks on the bottom of the pile? If none of that is the case, call hatchery of origin. Just thoughts....

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Is the brooder too hot? can they move away from heat if they're too warm? Are they cold and piling on each other, possibly smothering chicks on the bottom of the pile? If none of that is the case, call hatchery of origin. Just thoughts....

edit: spelling

X2, also, are they actually drinking the water? You might want to dip their beaks to make sure they know to drink. Could they be ingesting the bedding? Sometimes if they haven't yet identified the food source they can eat too much sawdust/sand/whatever you're using to bed them and starve.

Good luck with your babies!

X2, also, are they actually drinking the water? You might want to dip their beaks to make sure they know to drink. Could they be ingesting the bedding? Sometimes if they haven't yet identified the food source they can eat too much sawdust/sand/whatever you're using to bed them and starve.

Good luck with your babies!

x2 and Phil, have you checked for pasty butt or mushy naval?

BTW
welcome-byc.gif
Ask anything, we're all here to help!

Last edited:
Thanks for all ur advice guys. They are drinking the water and eating the food. They also can get away from the heat and there is enough room for them under the heat pad. I've had chicks in there before and they have all survived but this time they are dying. I bought these chicks from a lady and they were all fine when i got them home and they settled into the brooder box well. They have been in there for a week or so and now they are dying.

Hmmm, is the feed old or mouldy? Might help to change it out for fresh if it's been around a while... Just speculating as it sounds like you're experinced with chicks and this is something abnormal. If they were not vaccinated and/or you have other birds nearby those could be factors too. Hard to say! I hope it's resolvable, poor wee souls.

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

If they have the proper feed and temps in the brooder then the first thing to consider when you have multiple deaths in chicks that were previously doing well is coccidiosis. They are very prone to it at this age and it kills fast. Get some Corid asap and run a course of treatment. If that's not what the problem is then you'll have at least ruled it out as a possibility. If they are indeed fighting coccidiosis you'll likely save the rest by treating.

Edited to add: Medicated feed will not prevent nor cure a case of coccidosis. Many people, myself included, have had chicks come down with it when fed medicated. That is why there is debate as to the value of it at all. It certainly doesn't hurt to feed it but you still have to be prepared to treat in case they get it anyway.

Last edited:
I am having the same problem. I bought 3 new chicks used same light same brooder and all 3 have now died. Literally looked and acted fine and 10-15 minutes later two just does at the same time. Another doed he same way a week earlier. I plan to get new ones but am afraid now. I will clean the border and everything but what else should I do to prevent this from happening again.

Back
Top Bottom