Chickens dying

Tonya petty

Hatching
Aug 24, 2023
I got seven chickens five months ago. They are 22 weeks old. None of them are laying. In the last five months, five chickens had died. The first one died a month after taking him outside she was breathing heavily and the next day she was dead. The next two had no symptoms at all. I found dead in the coop in the morning all the deaths have been spaced about a month apart. The next one that died, I found her laying in the run in the morning. Her head was droopy, and when I picked her up, water poured out of her mouth. She was fine the day before. She also had bright green poop, she died that day. That was about three weeks ago. Today my silky died. She had pasty butt, I noticed it about a week ago, but I thought it was because they were sleeping in their nesting box.

I kept her cleaned up and I’m working on correcting the roosting problem. Yesterday she was not doing well so I brought her in for the night.

I forced her to drink water, and she did eat. She previously had watery poop, but by the next day it was more solid and a little watery.

I scrambled her an egg and gave her garlic. She looks so much better and by the afternoon she was dead.

I just moved to this house the place where the chicken run is used to be a garden. I don’t know if the previous owners garden and it didn’t look like it.

Could it be something the previous owners put on the ground. That would us have been last summer.

I cannot figure out what is killing my chickens. They have everything they need. Their coop is clean, they were on GMO food. Their waters clean. They have been on probiotics and Duradtat several times a week, since the other chickens died.

I have checked for mites and bugs I don’t see any. I am wondering if if the silky died from coccidiosis and should I treat the remaining two birds with Amprolium.

I need help please. I’ve asked everybody I know and nobody has any ideas I don’t know what to do next.

Coccidiosis will usually have them looking fluffed up with low energy, and you will usually see a lot of blood in the droppings (some strains don't cause blood, though). Did you ever notice that? You can try corid, since it can't harm them, but that may not be it.

Let me know if a state lab is not an option, there are resources on here about doing it yourself as a last resort. A lab is better cause they can test, but someone at home can find some things that are more obvious.

Back
Top Bottom