Chicken lethargic with runny poop, not eating or drinking

Pittbull Chicken

Chirping
Sep 16, 2023
My chicken is not moving and doesn't seem to be eating or drinking. I found her in the coop yesterday afternoon and she wouldn't come out. I took her inside and cleaned her down, she gets really bad poopy butt. Her vent was clear and looked normal. She didn't change her behavior after the cleaning. This morning she came out and ate a little then went and sat in the garden. When I came home from work, she was still there. I picked her up and brought her to some water but she is just standing in the same spot for 2 hours now. Her poop looks strange to me. Not sure if I should wait it out or take her to the vet. I'm afraid if I wait, she'll die.
HISTORY: last time she acted like this, she wasn't pooping and she had a soft shell stuck in her vent. It seemed she was at the end of her egg laying days (I don't know how old she is). The past 4 months she has layed twice. Both really tiny eggs with no yolk.
Her egg is the white one.

Attachments

• 20240325_172738.jpg
    20240325_172738.jpg
    446.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240325_172605.jpg
    20240325_172605.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240325_164746.jpg
    20240325_164746.jpg
    965.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240203_125107.jpg
    20240203_125107.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 8
Do you think she might be egg bound? Can you try soaking her in warm water and Epsom salt and see if that helps? I read to soak for 15 minutes, let dry and keep separated from the others. Can repeat soak an hour after she dries.

Do you think she might be egg bound? Can you try soaking her in warm water and Epsom salt and see if that helps? I read to soak for 15 minutes, let dry and keep separated from the others. Can repeat soak an hour after she dries.
Thanks for the reply! I don't think she's egg bound because she doesn't lay eggs really anymore, but I could be wrong. Underneath it feels like fluid.
I have her a bath when I cleaned her poopy butt.
This is the 3rd day she won't eat or drink so I'm taking her to the vet.
I'll update the post when I find out what's going on.

she doesn't lay eggs really anymore, but I could be wrong. Underneath it feels like fluid.
This seems to be ascites/water belly, a symptom of a severe health condition like heart or liver or kidney failure, EYP or other.

Usually, there is no cure for this, but you could drain some of the accumulated fluids which can help her to breathe more freely and reduce the inner pressure on her organs.

Here is how to do it:

This seems to be ascites/water belly, a symptom of a severe health condition like heart or liver or kidney failure, EYP or other.

Usually, there is no cure for this, but you could drain some of the accumulated fluids which can help her to breathe more freely and reduce the inner pressure on her organs.

Here is how to do it:

Wow great video. Thank you! The vet thinks EYP due to her reproductive history. I got antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds. Still not eating or drinking, but she let me use the syringe to give her meds and water.

For some reason, the vet didn't drain the fluid. I'll probably call them when they open tomorrow and see why. If there wasn't a specific reason, I'm going to use the video to do it myself. Especially since this will probably happen again.

I read somewhere about hormonal implants. Any thoughts on that? I'll probably have to take her off layer feed to help, but not sure.

Back
Top Bottom