lethargic hen & wierd poop

I'm in agreement that an antibiotic would be worth another try. The poop indicates there's possibly an infection, but the absence of yellow in it does not point to reproductive infection, making a recovery much more likely with treatment with the antibiotic. I suggest going with what you vet recommends.

This hen was also recently brought to the vet due to her being anti-social. She was placed on Oxytetracycline, Meloxicam and Thiamine/D3 for 5 days and seemed to be getting a bit better. Doctor suspects she might have an issue with her reproductive tract.

I'm in agreement that an antibiotic would be worth another try. The poop indicates there's possibly an infection, but the absence of yellow in it does not point to reproductive infection, making a recovery much more likely with treatment with the antibiotic. I suggest going with what you vet recommends.
X2 I'd consider putting her back on an antibiotic. Hopefully the vet has a good recommendation.

What did the vet give you?

I hope she improves.
I haven't been able to bring her back to the vet. I have a giant bottle of oxytetracycline and meloxicam that I'm dosing her from. She's also being given probios gel orally every evening and a B12 injection. Thank you! I'll update the post once I see any changes

I haven't been able to bring her back to the vet. I have a giant bottle of oxytetracycline and meloxicam that I'm dosing her from. She's also being given probios gel orally every evening and a B12 injection. Thank you! I'll update the post once I see any changes
For those intrested, the dosing are as follows:
-LA200 (oxytetracycline 200mg): 0.15mL subQ
-B12 & Thiamine: 0.1mL subQ
-Meloxicam 7.5mg tablets: 1/4 tab orally
-ProBios bovine prebiotic gel: 3mL orally

Hello all! Decided to update for future reference. "Dotty" (the hen) seems to be doing much better. Her poop is still a bit strange so she's not 100% yet, but the vet recommended placing her on a special diet in case the stool issues were being caused by whatever shes eating. Right now, she's on a strict diet of plain water, scrambled eggs, white rice and greens (mostly kale) with the occasional live meal worm thrown in for "flavor". She doesn't seem to mind in the least lol

Back
Top Bottom