Lethargic Hen/Yellow Poop/Fourth One Down

Jhura

Chirping
May 14, 2023
So we have had four hens in the past six weeks come down with some kind of gut bug I believe. They become lethargic, and have watery yellow/green poops, pic attached. Their crop is squishy too. Three of the hens bounce back within a week on SMZ/TMP and nystatin, and they were back to laying eggs by week two-three.

However my fourth hen I have inside right now, is not bouncing back with this protocol. She is eating and drinking electrolytes somewhat. Put my finger up her butt, no obstruction. I also gave her calcium with vitamin D3 just in case. Her symptoms look the same as the other previous three. We have an appointment with the vet on Tuesday.

They all get an organic layer feed with a side of oyster shell and organic scratch, nothing has changed. I just dewormed everybody a few weeks ago, and a month before that we did Toltrazuril in their water because of a lot of rain and issues with coccidia last year. Before and after they were supported with poultry cell and electrolytes. Everyone else seems fine so far in my flock of 26.

I was thinking of doing amoxicillin but I don’t want to blast her immune system with these antibiotics anymore… just looking for thoughts on what it could be…

Attachments

• IMG_8811.jpeg
    IMG_8811.jpeg
    704.2 KB · Views: 26
Are you getting a necropsy through your state vet if you lose another. The poop looks like she is not eating enough, and the yellow urates may be from a reproductive infection or ascites (water belly) if she has a swollen lower belly. You are giving a lot of different drugs, so be sure to use some probiotics on her to get her good gut bacteria back to normal.

Are you getting a necropsy through your state vet if you lose another. The poop looks like she is not eating enough, and the yellow urates may be from a reproductive infection or ascites (water belly) if she has a swollen lower belly. You are giving a lot of different drugs, so be sure to use some probiotics on her to get her good gut bacteria back to normal.
They all recovered, no one has died, but this fourth one has had it the longest that’s why I suspect a gut issue. I am giving them probiotics throughout. No swollen belly. We are only doing the smz/tmp and nystatin, the other two were a month ago. This issue is acute.

So I got two more hens sick with this. This is definitely a bug. They are lethargic and have dark green and bright yellow nasty poops. The SMZ/TMP seems to work on it, but I can’t get it anymore for some reason. I no problems ordering it from valley vet supply now they say I need a script? I just need to know what I’m dealing with. It’s not a parasite…

@Eggcessive so my one year old Welsummer died this morning, in my arms. It was horrific. We had an appt scheduled for 2:30, she didn’t make it. I will be getting a necropsy done, because when we took in another hen who has the same symptoms, to that 2:30 in her place, the vet said “she doesn’t know what it is” without further pricey diagnostics and said to give her smz/tmp 🙄 Waste of my time and money. She also said she wouldn’t send in my script request to valleyvet.com unless it was specific to the new birds dosages, and not a whole bottle like I ordered. The FDA can PISS OFF too, taking away my rights to treat my flock as I choose! I’m heartbroken. And done. Thank you anyway for your help and for listening. 🙏

Very sorry for your loss. This year, many of the antibiotics have disappeared due to the crackdown by the FDA and other groups. I can understand the reasons why, but it can be very expensive or difficult to see a vet for a chicken. I’m glad that you are getting a necropsy, and please let us know what they find.

Roo. Wet yellow stool. He can’t keep his eyes open. Last few days he’s been slow and not himself. He doesn’t want to eat drinks a little bit, but he’s blind in one eye and I have to guide him to the food.

Back
Top Bottom