Chickens eat shell but not the grit?

Flame80

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
Deep East Texas Sabine County
Birds are about 2 years old and laying well. I have always left a bowl of grit and a seperate bowl of oyster shell out 24 hours a day. In last 2-3 months they hardly touch the grit but will eat the shell like candy most of the time. Shells on eggs are very good and strong. white leghorns mostly. Only 3 domoniques. Should I just remove the grit and continue on with shell. save the expence of buying grit? What does everyone think?? Thanks

The thing about grit is that it's INSOLUBLE, meaning it doesn't break down easily - they eat it, it hangs out in the gizzard for a while, then it eventually breaks down/gets passed out of the body. Only then would they need to eat more to replace it. Since they don't need it for breaking down feed, just grains, tough veggies, things you'd need teeth for, it stands to reason that sometimes it will last longer, depending on what you're feeding them. Buying grit is cheap insurance for healthy digestion - even if they free range, they may not find pieces that are the proper size, proper jagged edges, proper insolubility.

The thing about grit is that it's INSOLUBLE, meaning it doesn't break down easily - they eat it, it hangs out in the gizzard for a while, then it eventually breaks down/gets passed out of the body. Only then would they need to eat more to replace it. Since they don't need it for breaking down feed, just grains, tough veggies, things you'd need teeth for, it stands to reason that sometimes it will last longer, depending on what you're feeding them. Buying grit is cheap insurance for healthy digestion - even if they free range, they may not find pieces that are the proper size, proper jagged edges, proper insolubility.
I never knew thats what it was for! And thats what happens! I always knew it was for breaking down food, but never this detailed. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom