Chickens eating eggs

Gary palmer

Chirping
Jul 13, 2017
My chickens just started eating their own eggs. I added 10 new birds to my flock maybe 1 1/2 mths ago. Had 12. The new ones were 5 mths old and my original flock was 8 mths old. They seem to be getting along fine. If the younger ones started laying eggs would it cause any weirdness? They ate three eggs the other day and today all seven or eight. Is this common? What do I do?

Give your hens oyster shells. Whenever my hen Shiloh starts eating eggs I mix a lot of oyster shells in her feed and it will help on keeping her from eating eggs.

I suggest getting some ceramic eggs to put in the nests. Use a Sharpie and mark an X on them or something so you don't accidentally gather the fake ones... they can not peck them, and soon give up trying. In the meantime I also suggest you check the protein levels in the feed. Most layer feeds only have a minimum of protein. Try a feed with a higher protein, along with the fake eggs. This has always worked for me.

My chickens just started eating their own eggs. I added 10 new birds to my flock maybe 1 1/2 mths ago. Had 12. The new ones were 5 mths old and my original flock was 8 mths old. They seem to be getting along fine. If the younger ones started laying eggs would it cause any weirdness? They ate three eggs the other day and today all seven or eight. Is this common? What do I do?
Did you find the remains of that many eggs?
Were the shells thin or soft?
What and how exactly are you feeding?

Back
Top Bottom