Chicken's eye keeps getting infected. How to remove eye without doctor?

ElmCityChickens

Chirping
Mar 12, 2020
My Wyandotte pecked my special Silkie's eye (it was found lost amongst dutch booted bantams at TSC, and it doesn't have any feet feathers unlike any Silkies I've ever seen), and she's gotten an infection for almost half a year.

I took her to the doctor and spent a ton of time and money on ointments and antibiotics. I probably can't justify having eye surgery on her to my family. They are already annoyed I took her to an expensive chicken vet and paid for prescription meds for her. It's still infected, but she has so much life left to live I am completely unwilling to cull. She's very spunky and loves to start fights. I've already re-grouped her with older ladies in their own separate house far away from the Wyandotte, who she does not get along with (even though they grew up together). Once her infection flares up I take her inside to heal in my "Chicken Hospital," where she currently is.

I am reading some people's chickens are fine after another chicken pecks it out. I am wondering if I may consider similar surgery so it is controlled instead of random violence from other chickens.

Is this possible to perform surgery like this on my own? I've done other random chicken surgeries but this is beyond anyting I'm used to. There are no instructional videos. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.

My Wyandotte pecked my special Silkie's eye (it was found lost amongst dutch booted bantams at TSC, and it doesn't have any feet feathers unlike any Silkies I've ever seen), and she's gotten an infection for almost half a year.

I took her to the doctor and spent a ton of time and money on ointments and antibiotics. I probably can't justify having eye surgery on her to my family. They are already annoyed I took her to an expensive chicken vet and paid for prescription meds for her. It's still infected, but she has so much life left to live I am completely unwilling to cull. She's very spunky and loves to start fights. I've already re-grouped her with older ladies in their own separate house far away from the Wyandotte, who she does not get along with (even though they grew up together). Once her infection flares up I take her inside to heal in my "Chicken Hospital," where she currently is.

I am reading some people's chickens are fine after another chicken pecks it out. I am wondering if I may consider similar surgery so it is controlled instead of random violence from other chickens.

Is this possible to perform surgery like this on my own? I've done other random chicken surgeries but this is beyond anyting I'm used to. There are no instructional videos. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.
Don’t. This is a really horrible idea, that area is sensitive, even if some chickens can survive without the eye, doing it yourself with no medicine is risky. Is the problem that she keeps irritating her eye fighting? I can’t think of much you can do besides isolating her in a silkie only flock so she doesn’t get picked on, or rehoming(though the infection would have to be treated first). Did the vet hav want recommendations?

No, it's not possible to do eye surgery at home.

Seeking vet care is your best option. What medications and treatments did you vet prescribe when you took her to them?

Photos of the eye may be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom