Chickens face and eyes look sick

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
I’m posting before and after pics. She’s one year old Orpington. I treated her with permethrin dust 4 days ago. also 2 days before that i used DE when I first saw lice. Same treatment on both chickens (I have 2 ) the other one looks fine. when I first saw her face looked dusty , the day after dusting with permethrin, I used VETRX on both chickens faces to gently wipe off the white powder from their beaks and eyes. now her face looks llike this, so I am using chamomile tea tonight on her eyes.
any advice ? something I should do or not do?
OOH my I just noticed it might be EYE LICE? what do I do now... Ive been reseaching all the treatments for lice/mites/worms/etc and I think I might get some ivermectin and use that instead of messing around with more permethrin ( 2 more doses I have to do,, or ,, not... if I switch to ivermectin?)
so there is the oral paste kind, or the pour on for cattle I can use drops on skin behind neck... would that hurt her if I get it tomorrow and use it instead of 2 more dustings permethrin?? help plz...
Hannah (the chicken) is otherwise energetic and eating and pooping fine, her diet is nutrena all flock, and crushed oyster shell on the side, plus organic scratch for a treat, lettuce/kale/other veggies occasional treats also. Oh and she steals mazuri waterfowl food from my ducks, we are working on that

Attachments

• FB45D467-E203-4E25-A6D0-5CD7A0460872.png
    FB45D467-E203-4E25-A6D0-5CD7A0460872.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 24BF7831-0B78-4157-9B99-F4F8F8BF88E0.jpeg
    24BF7831-0B78-4157-9B99-F4F8F8BF88E0.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
The VetRx may have been irritating, but if you just dusted her bottom, under the wings, etc. and didn't get her head, all the lice may have migrated there.

I would have left the dust on her face, it would have worn off. I wouldn't bath the chickens either, giving a bath is not necessary.

Apply a bit of the Permethrin dust to her head to help get rid of the lice. Re-dust in 7-10 day intervals.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...vernight-should-i-try-to-wash-it-off.1566189/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-can-i-give-them-a-bath-4-days-later.1566553/

thanks for replying. so Im guessing the picture does look like lice around her eyes? We originally dusted their heads from the top of head, then little by little down to get everything covered, down to the butts really thoroughly. but tried to keep it out of eyes and nostrils (nares?)
I was only thinking of washing their butts because the feathers are caked together with powder , in little bunches. Hopefully lice cant hide in there. I have spray permethin as well as dust, should i spray their faces, even if it gets in their eyes?
I think I can paint it on her face with a cotton ball and carefully around the eyes. Is 0.64 oz of liquid permethrin 10% to 1 gallon water the right mixture? I read a post where someone said 6.4 oz to a gallon but hopefully thats wrong because by my math calculations I use 0.64 (a little over a half ounce for a gallon of water. )

Last edited:
Yes, it does look like lice around her eyes.
You'll want to try to wipe those off and rinse them out of her eyes. You can use Saline to do that.

No, I still wouldn't wash them. You want the powder to stay on. The powder needs to worked down through the feathers to the skin.

Ok thank you so much, I did what you said with the saline , and then I looked carefully all around her head and found lots of nits under her beak, on her neck area in the front. I guess that’s the spot we missed when we first used the dust! So I very carefully dusted in between all the little feathers there , thanks for your help !!

Ok thank you so much, I did what you said with the saline , and then I looked carefully all around her head and found lots of nits under her beak, on her neck area in the front. I guess that’s the spot we missed when we first used the dust! So I very carefully dusted in between all the little feathers there , thanks for your help !!
I'm glad you found them and was able to treat her.

Back
Top Bottom