Chickens Fav Treats!!!!

Which butcher? I'm not personal friends with them if that's what you're asking? Just walked in and asked.

Hi Dave.
When we lived out in Yuma and ran the roads to visit my husband's elderly retired Aunt and Uncle we met folks that fed their race dogs. Grey Hounds raw meat and bones but I was certain they knew one of the butchers connected to McIlHanney the cattle ranch out on Highway 10 southwest of Phoenix.

Last edited:
Hi Dave.
When we lived out in Yuma and ran the roads to visit my husband's elderly retired Aunt and Uncle we met folks that fed their race dogs. Grey Hounds raw meat and bones but I was certain they knew one of the butchers connected to McIlHanney the cattle ranch out on Highway 10 southwest of Phoenix. I will ask our butcher and see what he says. I have asked the produce guy and they now turn everyone down bc people complained that only a few choice patrons were getting produce scraps. So now, no one gets any. Or so they say.
The grocery stores over here all say that there was a law suit against Basha's. Some lady getting the scraps and eating them herself and got sick or something. They all say that they have to throw it away. Such a shame. Finally one place said that I could have it but the produce guy is Asian and we can't communicate very well. He saved me an entire box of cabbage when I asked for clippings. There was a nearby cabbage leaf that had been clipped and I used it for an example so he saved a whole box. Lol. Have to figure out how to convey that I want all his scraps not just cabbage.

I'd be interested about that cattle place if you can find anything out.

The ca
The grocery stores over here all say that there was a law suit against Basha's. Some lady getting the scraps and eating them herself and got sick or something. They all say that they have to throw it away. Such a shame. Finally one place said that I could have it but the produce guy is Asian and we can't communicate very well. He saved me an entire box of cabbage when I asked for clippings. There was a nearby cabbage leaf that had been clipped and I used it for an example so he saved a whole box. Lol. Have to figure out how to convey that I want all his scraps not just cabbage.

I'd be interested about that cattle place if you can find anything out.

Okay what I remember was the place was near Gila Bend. Guys came from Phoenix and Yuma for the scraps. The dog racing was held in Yuma and Phoenix and I remember meeting some of the guys. One was a friend. He went to Ireland and bought new dogs to add new blood to his dog pool. He was one of them and when we went to the dog track with him he introduced us to others. I could not get into dog racing. They say it is like horse racing only smaller LOL.

Last edited:
The ca
Okay what I remember was the place was near Gila Bend. Guys came from Phoenix and Yuma for the scraps. The dog racing was held in Yuma and Phoenix and I remember meeting some of the guys. One was a friend. He went to Ireland and bought new dogs to add new blood to his dog pool. He was one of them and when we went to the dog track with him he introduced us to others. I could not get into dog racing. They say it is like horse racing only smaller LOL. We met the Yuma guys bc we lived near several guys into it. It was when I was younger and my husband was with the BlackSheep. My husband's uncle was into it in Phoenix and I still could not get into it. Those dogs had air conditioned central houses that broke down to smaller houses that went out to separate runs. The guys would take their dogs with radio collars on and let them loose in the fields and wide open desert to run. My older ( high schooler) son would sometimes go along and said the dogs chased cottontails. Those dogs lived on nothing but meat scrapes and bones with a few biscuits thrown in. The dogs spent their time when not racing the track or running the desert, training. Those dogs were better behaved than most kids or adults! No dog was allowed to be in the arena if it had anytype of bad behaviors. They were fit and healthy on their diet of protein scraps. Pardon spelling. Backseat in the mountains?

I specialized in Law Enforcement/Military dogs. The Belgian Malinois is my breed if choice.

My favorite dog Joop. He is now a Mesa K9.
this is their picture.

This is mine when he was young
(picture of a picture on my wall)

I trained in France under a very well known trainer. Physical fitness of the working dog is IMO the most under utilized aspect of dog training. It allows them to recover from exercise and injury better and the faster and stronger the dog is, the quicker and safer he will get the bad guy down. I always keep my dogs light vs heavier especially when they're young. Nature has no fat dogs. I like to have a couple of the rear ribs showing under exertion. That let's me know that they're in good working shape. I train them for competitions as well and they have to scale a 9ft wall. Going up is difficult enough, but coming down with bad joints and a heavy dog is a nightmare waiting to happen. Joop used to pull me on my bicycle for 6 miles without me ever having to do anything but steer. I trained him to left turn and right turn so I didn't have to brake much. What an animal? Pure power and LOVES to work.

Question.... Is there any use for the egg shells for the chickens after you cook them up a treat of boiled or scrambled eggs?
When I give my girls a hard boiled egg I just take a fork and crumble the egg, shell and all!! They gobble every last scrap of it...besides, the calcium is good for them!

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in about the egg shells!! Being a new momma hen I want to do what's best for my girls! With all the advice & tips I can get from the flock at Backyard Chickens they're bound to be TOTALLY SPOILED in no time!!!

My chickens/chicks are very spoiled!! They get the happy hen treats from R&B!!

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not distrustful and do give our girls meat sometimes. The main reason I don't give to them very often is that it is too expensive to waste. ; )

Tractor Supply Company of course.
Also you can toss in catfish food. The smellier the better as far as my chickens go.

Thanks a lot cowgirlboots I checked my local TSC and it's $18.99 for 50 #     It's 32% protein.    Wow.  What a find.    Added to my other grains it really beefs it up.     :weee
check the ingredients of the fish food, it may have BHA, BHT, or ethyoxiquine in it. I may have spelled that wrong.

Back
Top Bottom