Chickens Fav Treats!!!!

Mine at 1st didn't accept treats. I did put some fresh cut lettuce and watermelon in yesterday. Devoured. Lately it seems they have a specific "chirp" when they want something. They are not expecting treats!

Nothing compares to the frenzy of locust shells though! WOW

Hi, I believe that it creates watery poo because they are unable to digest it very well. A little is ok because of the live cultures.

Thank you! I had wondered about the watery poo, and thought it was just the transition from chick starter to layer feed. It was getting a bit expensive, in any case, since I gave them only the best. Now I can save some pennies by not giving so them yogurt so frequently.

Newbie........Need Help! I took a bird to the vet today to try and get on top of cough; but that is not my concern. She said my chicken was thin and breast bone was prominent. I have 6 other chickens; still pullets Not quite sure how old they are (think born in March?; and seller told me to start Layer Food July 31) How old is that?) They are mixed flock ameracauna, lace, speckled sussex, brahma, aussie, buff orphington, welsner. When I got home I checked all the other chickens and they, too, had prominent breast bones. They have fermented chick feed available all day. They don't have worms. They also have access to grazing in a fenced yard with grass, plants, and plenty of bugs. I feed them a small treat of dried worms in the morning, and some (very little) other scraps. They seem to eat well. They are definitely growing and getting larger and seem to be fine. She scared me so I bought some scratch and now throwing that out also. I think they are a little skinny because they are growing rapidly; what do you guys think? Really appreciate your opinions.

dear hanalah, I like your posts; could you give me some advice. I switched to fermented feed and it is working well.
Newbie........Need Help! I took a bird to the vet today to try and get on top of cough; but that is not my concern. She said my chicken was thin and breast bone was prominent. I have 6 other chickens; still pullets Not quite sure how old they are (think born in March?; and seller told me to start Layer Food July 31) How old is that?) They are mixed flock ameracauna, lace, speckled sussex, brahma, aussie, buff orphington, welsner. When I got home I checked all the other chickens and they, too, had prominent breast bones. They have fermented chick feed available all day. They don't have worms. They also have access to grazing in a fenced yard with grass, plants, and plenty of bugs. I feed them a small treat of dried worms in the morning, and some (very little) other scraps. They seem to eat well. They are definitely growing and getting larger and seem to be fine. She scared me so I bought some scratch and now throwing that out also. I think they are a little skinny because they are growing rapidly; what do you guys think? Really appreciate your opinions.

Newbie........Need Help! I took a bird to the vet today to try and get on top of cough; but that is not my concern. She said my chicken was thin and breast bone was prominent. I have 6 other chickens; still pullets  Not quite sure how old they are (think born in March?; and seller told me to start Layer Food July 31) How old is that?) They are mixed flock ameracauna, lace, speckled sussex, brahma, aussie, buff orphington, welsner. When I got home I checked all the other chickens and they, too, had prominent breast bones. They have fermented chick feed available all day. They don't have worms. They also have access to grazing in a fenced yard with grass, plants, and plenty of bugs. I feed them a small treat of dried worms in the morning, and some (very little) other scraps. They seem to eat well. They are definitely growing and getting larger and seem to be fine. She scared me so I bought some scratch and now throwing that out also. I think they are a little skinny because they are growing rapidly; what do you guys think? Really appreciate your opinions.

Sounds like we have a flock similar in age and mine sound physically to be the same. Within the past week or so, their little voices have begun to change. Is this the case for you too? Just curious how close our flocks are. I purchased mine March 15th and they were maybe a few days old I think.

I'm new to this as well and look forward to others advice.

I'm thinking that we're on track with healthy birds. I've been waiting for them to kinda mature and see if that put some weight on them. Like with puppies sometimes, it's hard keeping weight in them because of how hyper they are. Then finally they mature a bit and get true weight. IMO with animals I have experience in, it's safer and healthier for them to be thin when young so their bones can grow at a good strong pace.

Thanks K9Dave, Because I know they are all eating fine and growing (it seems every day), I just think they are adolescents and will fill in by their breastbone when they are done growing everywhere else. I would be more worried if the welsner was the only one with the prominent breast bone, but all seven have the same feel. Not sure about their voices, but they are more aggressive in their play with each other. They all fit on the top roost of the coop. I'm not seeing anyone in particular picked on. I have a little Aussie who I think is a week or 2 younger. She was always scared of everything, but I saw her "chest butt" my Ameracauna the other day, who then backed down. It's really interesting watching the changing dynamics. What do you do about the heat in Phoenix. It's been in the high 90's all week in NC and chickens don't seem to like it.
Sounds like we have a flock similar in age and mine sound physically to be the same. Within the past week or so, their little voices have begun to change. Is this the case for you too? Just curious how close our flocks are. I purchased mine March 15th and they were maybe a few days old I think.

I'm new to this as well and look forward to others advice.

I'm thinking that we're on track with healthy birds. I've been waiting for them to kinda mature and see if that put some weight on them. Like with puppies sometimes, it's hard keeping weight in them because of how hyper they are. Then finally they mature a bit and get true weight. IMO with animals I have experience in, it's safer and healthier for them to be thin when young so their bones can grow at a good strong pace.

[...] I have a little Aussie who I think is a week or 2 younger. She was always scared of everything, but I saw her "chest butt" my Ameracauna the other day, who then backed down. It's really interesting watching the changing dynamics. [...]
This has been so interesting to watch in my flock too. They are getting growth spurts at different times so day-to-day it can change who's the biggest, and I definitely feel like I see that play out in their little skirmishes.

I just gave my babies some bruised peach today and they LOVED it. It was gone in about three seconds.

Thanks K9Dave, Because I know they are all eating fine and growing (it seems every day), I just think they are adolescents and will fill in by their breastbone when they are done growing everywhere else. I would be more worried if the welsner was the only one with the prominent breast bone, but all seven have the same feel. Not sure about their voices, but they are more aggressive in their play with each other. They all fit on the top roost of the coop. I'm not seeing anyone in particular picked on. I have a little Aussie who I think is a week or 2 younger. She was always scared of everything, but I saw her "chest butt" my Ameracauna the other day, who then backed down. It's really interesting watching the changing dynamics. What do you do about the heat in Phoenix. It's been in the high 90's all week in NC and chickens don't seem to like it.

Before I out a cloth up for shade they were a little hot but that cools it off ALOT. Free Ranging to me seems to be the best solution to heat problems. They seek out the coolest spots in the yard and actually keep moving. When they were confined in their run in the heat they laid there a lot longer. I just spray down a big patch of dirt once a day it so and they love that spot to cool off.

I just got off of the phone with my brother who just moved to NC. Ashville I think is the village name.

Well, I gave my flock some peas last week and today I went and picked some wild strawberries for them. We have 10 acres covered with wild strawberries and raspberries. I'd eat the strawberries myself if they were bigger than a mouse fart (pardon my French), but they're so tiny there is no use. I brought a handful into the run and they loved them. :)

Back
Top Bottom